• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sunderland Away

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm fairly sure Barnsley v Everton and Luton v Stoke will be the TV games. Sunderland v Exeter at a half empty ground won't be very appealing to viewers.
Agreed. If Exeter had been at home there's a chance it might have been a TV game, but as things stand I think it's very unlikely.

Still getting over our failure to see the 1989-90 game out; as I recall, if we hadn't surrendered a two-goal lead we'd have played Coventry at home in the last eight [or maybe even the semi-finals] and this, least we forget, was the season in which we won 21 of our 23 league games at SJP, as well as knocking top-flight Blackburn out of the League Cup - courtesy of probably the best team goal I've ever seen ECFC score - and coming within a couple of minutes of beating Norwich, who were top of Division One at the time [this was before the days of the Premiership], in the FA Cup.

PS I've just read on Twitter that Clinton's scored five times in nine career starts against Sunderland... maybe he'll break his ECFC duck at the Stadium of Light!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed. If Exeter had been at home there's a chance it might have been a TV game, but as things stand I think it's very unlikely.

Still getting over our failure to see the 1989-90 game out; as I recall, if we hadn't surrendered a two-goal lead we'd have played Coventry at home in the last eight [or maybe even the semi-finals] and this, least we forget, was the season in which we won 21 of our 23 league games at SJP, as well as knocking top-flight Blackburn out of the League Cup - courtesy of probably the best team goal I've ever seen ECFC score - and coming within a couple of minutes of beating Norwich, who were top of Division One at the time [this was before the days of the Premiership], in the FA Cup.

PS I've just read on Twitter that Clinton's scored five times in nine career starts against Sunderland... maybe he'll break his ECFC duck at the Stadium of Light!
Your memory is good, Egg, but I think Blackburn was in the old 2nd Division at the time. They quickly went on to better things.

Terryhall

Think it's a good draw with a decent chance of a win, but it's a long old slog for a Tuesday night. Was hoping for a club within striking distance of London as I'll be there on the 24th and could have potentially stayed an extra day or two, but Sunderland is a bit of a stretch.

Red N

Your memory is good, Egg, but I think Blackburn was in the old 2nd Division at the time. They quickly went on to better things.
Definitely were in the 2nd Division when we played them

Terryhall

Did some checking on Wikipedia of recent Sunderland home league cup attendances in the early rounds (they made the final in 2013/14 beating Chelsea and Man Utd on the way, lest we forget):

2014/15 - R3 Home to Stoke, lost 2-1, att: 17,353
2013/14 - R2 Home to MK Dons, won 4-2, att: 18,992
2013/14 - R3 Home to Peterborough, won 2-0, att: 18,126
2013/14 - R4 Home to Southamption, won 2-1, att: 15,966
2012/2013 - R2 Home to Morecambe, won 2-0, att: 22,871

Not a particularly large sample to draw on but based on that we can hope for roughly 15 - 18k in attendance - I guess a lot will depend on how many we take and noticeable that the smallest crowd there is Southampton, probably because of the distance to travel.

I'd imagine a League Cup match v Exeter will fall in their "Category C" pricing which is £25 - £30 depending where you sit. Sunderland's Season Tickets don't count for League Cup games so all of the attendance will be paying punters. So taking the lowest estimate of 15k and the lowest ticket price of £25, total gate would be £375,000, 45% of which is £168,750. So even allowing for a smaller turnout, we should easily clear a six-figure sum. Not bad at all.

jack101

Did some checking on Wikipedia of recent Sunderland home league cup attendances in the early rounds (they made the final in 2013/14 beating Chelsea and Man Utd on the way, lest we forget):

2014/15 - R3 Home to Stoke, lost 2-1, att: 17,353
2013/14 - R2 Home to MK Dons, won 4-2, att: 18,992
2013/14 - R3 Home to Peterborough, won 2-0, att: 18,126
2013/14 - R4 Home to Southamption, won 2-1, att: 15,966
2012/2013 - R2 Home to Morecambe, won 2-0, att: 22,871

Not a particularly large sample to draw on but based on that we can hope for roughly 15 - 18k in attendance - I guess a lot will depend on how many we take and noticeable that the smallest crowd there is Southampton, probably because of the distance to travel.

I'd imagine a League Cup match v Exeter will fall in their "Category C" pricing which is £25 - £30 depending where you sit. Sunderland's Season Tickets don't count for League Cup games so all of the attendance will be paying punters. So taking the lowest estimate of 15k and the lowest ticket price of £25, total gate would be £375,000, 45% of which is £168,750. So even allowing for a smaller turnout, we should easily clear a six-figure sum. Not bad at all.
A very good deal for winning one game. However looking at the Sunderland forum the suggestion seems to be that tickets will be £10-£15.

Still better than nothing!!!

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is Tisdale now forgiven for Warrington?

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Is Tisdale now forgiven for Warrington?
Of course not (swear)

Blackburn had Frank Stapleton playing for them..past his prime. Sunderland had Gabbiadini and Gates up front, with the former receiving some fair old stick from the cowshed. He took it all in good humour.

citizen

Blackburn had Frank Stapleton playing for them..past his prime. Sunderland had Gabbiadini and Gates up front, with the former receiving some fair old stick from the cowshed. He took it all in good humour.
In the game against Blackburn, Clive Whitehead absolutely flattened the Blackburn Keeper. The keeper had to go off. It was in the days of no substitute keepers! City go on to win,happy days.