• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sunday Football for Lower Leagues

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's what normally happens.

On this occasion I ran the channel (something I was urging our players to do on Monday, usually to no avail), got the ball with my back to goal, Cruyff-turned the CB and from the corner of the box floated one that would have been heading for the top corner but for the keeper's intervention. Think Buster vs Fulham in '95 (without the lung-busting run from his own box).

We still lost.
Yes, yes, Jason. Lie down for a while.
Anyway, you're talking to John Stocker Junior Boys top scorer here. I was similar to Lineker but probably a bit better.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, yes, Jason. Lie down for a while.
Anyway, you're talking to John Stocker Junior Boys top scorer here. I was similar to Lineker but probably a bit better.
So a goal hanger?

In a past life I was recommended for an England call-up after a particularly decent game in sticks:

https://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/safcsalondonfc/30621/SeasonArchive/match_report/1779168?archive_id=24504

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
So a goal hanger?
Poacher was the word wasn't it ? lol

IndoMike

So a goal hanger?

In a past life I was recommended for an England call-up after a particularly decent game in sticks:

https://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/safcsalondonfc/30621/SeasonArchive/match_report/1779168?archive_id=24504
Does this report explain the reason why you have such a high voice? However, until Pate verifies this I cannot confirm if !'m impressed or not.
i scored in every round of trials for Exeter schoolboys but for the final trial arrived 30 minutes late and was stuck on the right wing 2nd half as punishment. Didn't touch the ball and was not selected. It could have been Best, Law, Charlton and IndoMike. The dream team . .. sigh.

IndoMike

Poacher was the word wasn't it ? lol
I like to call it "being in the right place at the right time". Excellent anticipation.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Does this report explain the reason why you have such a high voice? However, until Pate verifies this I cannot confirm if !'m impressed or not.
i scored in every round of trials for Exeter schoolboys but for the final trial arrived 30 minutes late and was stuck on the right wing 2nd half as punishment. Didn't touch the ball and was not selected. It could have been Best, Law, Charlton and IndoMike. The dream team . .. sigh.
Likewise I couldn't attend the final session of my Middlesex trials as my Dad was working lates and my Mum wasn't about to drive to Finchley round the North Circular on a Friday night. But for that I'd DEFINITELY have 350 Test wickets under my belt with my wobbly seamers (and wouldn't have developed the Yips).

IndoMike

Likewise I couldn't attend the final session of my Middlesex trials as my Dad was working lates and my Mum wasn't about to drive to Finchley round the North Circular on a Friday night. But for that I'd DEFINITELY have 350 Test wickets under my belt with my wobbly seamers (and wouldn't have developed the Yips).
Just think, we could have met on Sportsman of the Year under different circumstances...:p

Oldsmobile-88

The only time The Grecians scheduled a couple of Sunday football league fixtures was in the winter/spring of 73-74 season.
The rules playing(& charging admission) on the Sabbath were relaxed by the FL.This was of course during the 3 day week due to the miners strike & subsequent issues with power generation-Sunday’s were not in the 3 day shift-

2 games were scheduled at SJP for a Sunday game,but both were postponed because of a waterlogged pitch at SJP.However we did play at Crewe during this period on a Sunday(won 5-2)

I seem to recall the Pools Company’s who payed the FL a bit of wedge to use the copyright on the fixture list,exerted pressure to make sure it was only a temporary measure..

My view..Bad idea.

IndoMike

The only time The Grecians scheduled a couple of Sunday football league fixtures was in the winter/spring of 73-74 season.
The rules playing(& charging admission) on the Sabbath were relaxed by the FL.This was of course during the 3 day week due to the miners strike & subsequent issues with power generation-Sunday’s were not in the 3 day shift-

2 games were scheduled at SJP for a Sunday game,but both were postponed because of a waterlogged pitch at SJP.However we did play at Crewe during this period on a Sunday(won 5-2)

I seem to recall the Pools Company’s who payed the FL a bit of wedge to use the copyright on the fixture list,exerted pressure to make sure it was only a temporary measure..

My view..Bad idea.
Looks like it really is a bad idea. i just thought maybe the crowds would be better..

manc grecian

Didn't we play on a Sunday in the FA trophy? It was the week before Christmas as I got a free mince pie. The game was rubbish and the crowd was sober