• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

ExmouthMart

I don’t understand what’s happened this summer. Last year we managed to identify Sam N, Tim D & Jevani, sign them and within our budget . All 3 proved to be top league 2 players & will ,hopefully, do ok in league 1. This year we seem to have identified targets who we just can’t afford. We do still need more players so maybe 2-3 will turn up tomorrow!
We haven’t sold anyone so there is no extra cash…….

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Survival until December when we can (hopefully) splash the cash from Ethan's loan and improved gates
January a notoriously difficult window to operate in....

Grecian Max

I don’t understand what’s happened this summer. Last year we managed to identify Sam N, Tim D & Jevani, sign them and within our budget . All 3 proved to be top league 2 players & will ,hopefully, do ok in league 1. This year we seem to have identified targets who we just can’t afford. We do still need more players so maybe 2-3 will turn up tomorrow!
Me neither, surely it made sense for a club our size to go for those type of players again, than dick about trying to sign players who were never going to sign... too late to change course so then rely on loans instead which hasn't paid off either....

ExmouthMart

Me neither, surely it made sense for a club our size to go for those type of players again, than dick about trying to sign players who were never going to sign... too late to change course so then rely on loans instead which hasn't paid off either....
Hilarious…… A Club our size?!……. We can not match the wages other Clubs offer without gambling with our future. Expectations are ridiculously high. We can’t spend what we haven’t got.

This is exactly Max’s point, I think. We seem to have wasted weeks chasing players who were never going to come here whereas last summer we did really well.

iscalad

Has anyone got actual confirmation, other than Exeweb speculation, on which players we have missed out on?

Smithyno6

Cambridge away showed we had nothing to offer squad depth wise. Couple of injuries and we’re starting to use people we wanted to loan out. January will be too late if we get a thinned squad and struggle from now till then, especially with those run of fixtures towards the end of the season. Tomorrow needs to be a big day because the last few games have been a bit stale. I was positive we’d be absolutely fine but I’m not too sure now and somethings making me feel like there won’t be much coming through tomorrow.

Loads of rumours on here over the weeks with some names ,if anyone can be arsed to look. KMT has admitted as much.

ExmouthMart

This is exactly Max’s point, I think. We seem to have wasted weeks chasing players who were never going to come here whereas last summer we did really well.
But wasn’t it a gamble signing Brown, Dieng and Nombe?! I remember some people weren’t particularly impressed at the time. Brown (at the moment) seems to be the only one who has stepped up. Dieng apparently is hindered by a lack of pace and Nombe is injury prone and has to be nursed through the games. As I’ve said before and got laughed at, football goes in cycles unless you are Man City. We did very well with those three last season but now have dipped a bit. Hopefully only temporarily but that’s down to the Manager to sort out.

ECFC have had to do this for years. ‘Past it’ players, injured players, players with potential. Sometimes it works ( Cureton, Noble Etc) occasionally it doesn’t (Ajise + others).