• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
The identity of this Cousins chappy is fast-becoming this summer's most compelling Wagatha Christie mystery.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who is cousins?
The bloke whose name I always get wrong..

IndoMike

Matt Taylor was a goalie. By Cousins do you mean George Ray?
Yes. You can see how similar the names are..

IndoMike

Autocorrect of Grounds?!
I blame Hants... :rolleyes:

IndoMike

One mistake on Exeweb and you're a gonner (and I mean "gonner", not gooner). It's a hard life keeping the ball moving on Exeweb, but somebody's gotta do it..
Sigh..

Rosencrantz

Grounds, Ray, Sweeny, Stubbs, Hartridge, Diabate, Pond, is this not a surfeit of centre backs?
Will Ray stay? He didn't in January when offered the choice.

And if we play three at the back there is a first choice three with three backups (one veteran, one still inexperienced but very promising start and one big prospect but untested at league level). So not really a surfeit, no.

(And Alfie isn't a candidate for conversion to striker either because he could be a top quality centre half and I have seen him play a few times 😉).

grecIAN Harris

Any talk of Wheeler coming back appears to be a tad fanciful as he hasn't been released by Wycombe. Or at least, he wasn't amongst the six names mentioned on SSN.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will Ray stay? He didn't in January when offered the choice.

And if we play three at the back there is a first choice three with three backups (one veteran, one still inexperienced but very promising start and one big prospect but untested at league level). So not really a surfeit, no.

(And Alfie isn't a candidate for conversion to striker either because he could be a top quality centre half and I have seen him play a few times 😉).
I think Ray's move in January was about budget movement etc. rather than whether we liked him or not.

Rosencrantz

I think Ray's move in January was about budget movement etc. rather than whether we liked him or not.
Partly, but I think he was asked if he wanted to move to play regular football as his place had been taken here with Stubbs and Cheick. That situation hasn't changed. I don't think it's a case of we don't like him, just that there are players ahead of him now and he wants first team football.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any talk of Wheeler coming back appears to be a tad fanciful as he hasn't been released by Wycombe. Or at least, he wasn't amongst the six names mentioned on SSN.
The official statement on the Wycombe site is a little lacking in detail but the suggestion on twitter is that there are senior players who have been offered contracts but haven't made a decision yet - Wheeler may be one of those. He wasn't playing regularly at the end of the season and didn't get on the pitch at Wembley so may feel it's the right time to move on.