• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer 2019 - Possible signings

Temporarily Exiled

And how do you think they would get a visa to play here?
We're still in the European Union, Spanish players wouldn't need a visa.

I watch some Unionistas de Salamanca matches, and there are some solid players at that level, but it's always going to be a huge gamble. You'll probably need to offer a good salary to get someone to move to a different country, to a club with (as far as I'm aware) no native Spanish speakers. That also causes issues with integrating on the pitch and off it. These aren't insurmountable, and some players have done very well - Alejandro Calvo García for Scunthorpe comes to mind - but it'd undoubedtly heighten the risk.

The other risk is that they're just not that good. Donovan Wilson came to us on loan last season having done alright in the Spanish third tier, and really failed to impress.

Last edited:

rifraf

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few loan players in soon....... including a goalkeeper?

Wonder also if any previous loanee comes in on a permanent? No inside knowledge here, just musing.

Last edited:

ryancooper327

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few loan players in soon....... including a goalkeeper?

Wonder also if any previous loanee comes in on a permanent? No inside knowledge here, just musing.
I reckon loans would come later in the window and the focus would be on permanent signings at the mo.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
We're still in the European Union, Spanish players wouldn't need a visa.

I watch some Unionistas de Salamanca matches, and there are some solid players at that level, but it's always going to be a huge gamble. You'll probably need to offer a good salary to get someone to move to a different country, to a club with (as far as I'm aware) no native Spanish speakers. That also causes issues with integrating on the pitch and off it. These aren't insurmountable, and some players have done very well - Alejandro Calvo García for Scunthorpe comes to mind - but it'd undoubedtly heighten the risk.

The other risk is that they're just not that good. Donovan Wilson came to us on loan last season having done alright in the Spanish third tier, and really failed to impress.
We're still in the EU but not for long. Would be very unlikely that work permits/visas would be given for lower league players : such permits would be reserved for essential workers and people who can offer a special skill or knowledge. Plus with the pound probably losing value it would be costly, even if it were legally possible.

Temporarily Exiled

We're still in the EU but not for long. Would be very unlikely that work permits/visas would be given for lower league players : such permits would be reserved for essential workers and people who can offer a special skill or knowledge. Plus with the pound probably losing value it would be costly, even if it were legally possible.
If they're in before the deadline, they're safe to continue living and working as before without the need for a work permit. New recruits past Brexit would likely need a work permit, but those rules don't apply to people living and working in the UK pre-deadline.

budegrecian

Yes, being dismissive to a young un, who you presumably haven't seen play is rather odd, I mean we've not had a bad record with young ones over the last 15 years or so, one of the reasons Taylor was promoted presumably was because he had knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the yoof.

Not all of them work out, but yes, Dean and Seymour should be looked at if they've improved, could save then make us a lot of money. Mind you one bad spot of our youth system is it's never really produced a top striker, and yes I am including Nichols, but he made us a little.

I didn't think Ollie Watkins was too bad.:)

Red Devon

Be surprised if we see any loans until the last week of pre season.

IndoMike

If they're in before the deadline, they're safe to continue living and working as before without the need for a work permit. New recruits past Brexit would likely need a work permit, but those rules don't apply to people living and working in the UK pre-deadline.
You might be right, but I'm not persuaded yet. Firstly if it is NO DEAL any prior agreements fly out the window. I don't think it can be assumed that work/residence permits will be handed out to all and sundry, and especially to small clubs with no clout. Secondly, I'm not sure if many Spanish players would want to up sticks to come and play in our League Dv 2, especially if the pound is weak, if there is no long-term future in the UK. Language shouldn't be a problem, though - I'm sure most Spanish players have at least a smattering of English and could get by.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure if its already been mentioned but with the future of Bury so uncertain surely there's an opportunity to try and get some decent players in from them.

IndoMike

Not sure if its already been mentioned but with the future of Bury so uncertain surely there's an opportunity to try and get some decent players in from them.
Salford might be a likely destination for their good 'uns