• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stronger or weaker?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bit of an enigma...'
...as is James Norwood. I'm going to face the (doubtlessly) incoming flak by saying that Tis doesn't really know how to use him, or, if he can use him, that's why he's been allowed to go out on loan so often. It's a dilemma Tis has to face, he signed him, the fans cough up his wages, so does he keep him, or does he let him go?

Lobster Claw

...as is James Norwood. I'm going to face the (doubtlessly) incoming flak by saying that Tis doesn't really know how to use him, or, if he can use him, that's why he's been allowed to go out on loan so often. It's a dilemma Tis has to face, he signed him, the fans cough up his wages, so does he keep him, or does he let him go?
Just because the fans pay his wages, doesnt mean we keep him! I was really disapointed watching him against Bristol City! I admit it is the only time i have seen him this season, but i thought his touch was poor!

I would love him to come good though, however i feel he has been overhyped by the very fans that do pay his wages! Sorry to be so blunt!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I would love him to come good though, however i feel he has been overhyped by the very fans that do pay his wages!
I see no evidence that we do. I would suggest we are probably harder than anyone else. However, we do want the lad to do well.

ecfc01

I see no evidence that we do. I would suggest we are probably harder than anyone else. However, we do want the lad to do well.
What i have seen he looks ok,

How old is he?

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
The only way James Norwood is going to prove himself at Exeter is if he is given the chance to play some games in the first XI and be allowed to develop his full playing potential for the club. Liam Sercombe has been given that opportunity and it is working well for him and the club. Unfortunately IMO Tis doesn't have the luxury of persisting with "maybe"players at the moment, Lge 1 is a difficult league and with plenty of established strikers in the squad???....shame though..Norwood could be good if given the chance.

Lobster Claw

The only way James Norwood is going to prove himself at Exeter is if he is given the chance to play some games in the first XI and be allowed to develop his full playing potential for the club. Liam Sercombe has been given that opportunity and it is working well for him and the club. Unfortunately IMO Tis doesn't have the luxury of persisting with "maybe"players at the moment, Lge 1 is a difficult league and with plenty of established strikers in the squad???....shame though..Norwood could be good if given the chance.
Maybe a mid table finish will provide that chance at the end of the year!

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Maybe a mid table finish will provide that chance at the end of the year!
This could be true and I certainly hope that is the case. He was back on the bench for one or two games towards the end of last season.....but we all understand why he never got the chance...it was all too close, but good fun in hindsight!

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Now that we are almost a quarter of the way into the season, and we can judge the squad on th pitch (rather than just on paper) thought it might be interesting to re-visit this thread.

For myself, I think we can say an emphatic, and demonstrable STRONGER - (especially since we've largely been a Matty T short of a full back line so far)

Defence has looked a little shaky at times (probably in no small way due to the reason given above) but Troy thankfully appears to have got over his injury and is increasing looking a rock at the back. Duffers continues to increasingly impress. Billy J, after an admittedly shaky start looks to be gradually growing into the role.
Tulls and Gollum continue to progress as wing backs, with encouraging signs that the crossing is continuing to improve.
And Jonah...well, he's just Jonah ;)
Main concern: the lack of much real cover in the event of any further injuries/suspensions.

Midfield, for me, has been the most impressive of the units so far. Dunne and Sercs have continued to build on their progress of last year and now, without doubt, are looking the "real deal" at L1 level. As for SRH - what can one say that hasn't been said many times elsewhere?
Add the fact that we've got David Noble waiting in the wings, plus, of course, Le Bertie if we need to get stuck in a bit more and hand out a few bruises, and I think the "engine room" is purring along nicely. Not forgetting, as well, that is we need to steady the ship at all, King Edwards has already shown that he's STILL more than capable of stepping in to provide a cover in Defensive Midfield.
Main concern: What will happen if/when SRH (not to mention Dunne or Sercs) are snapped up in the January sales :( Sure we've got Noble (who possibly was brought in for just that eventuality) but I still fear predators could rip the heart out of the team. While not wishing to hold any player back, just hope the club stick out for the very, very best deals if the bids come in.

Forwards: Probably the biggest change of all compared with previous years under Tis. At long last we finally appear to be having goals from "all over the forward line". Nards does look quality (when fit) and O'Flynn has been unlucky picking up that injury just as he looked to be running into real form. Fortunately, we had the new "SJC" plus, of course, Logie (!!!) to step into the breach. (Oh, and there's always still Marcus as well, of course ;) ).
Concerns: Just how many games are we likely to get out of Nards? Plus JC's age? And how many games can we expect from Logie, away from what seemed to have become his accustomed role as "super-sub".

So there we are - my humble attempt at analysis of events so far.

Feel free to disagree - I'm sure MANY will!

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
our front line is definitely an improvement on last season, and our midfield is looking pretty good as well. My only concern is the defence. Hopefully this will be remedied when our captain fantastic, matt taylor returns