• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Southend United V Exeter City FC Matchday thread - 10 / 10 / 2020

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I didn't see the game either but a disappointing result given Southend's abject form going back over seasons. For all the chuntering (again) over Bowman, strikes me as our problem isn't scoring goals.

Our results so far this season (all comps)

0-2
3-2
2-2
0-2
2-1
2-0
4-3
2-2

One clean sheet in 8 games. 14 goals conceded.

We need to tighten up that end. Both goals (that I saw on SSN) today were poor.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Now that really was a very good goal. He looks up, sees the goal and weights his shot spot on. Blimmin well done the Fish.

Fisher, outside the box, left foot? I'll admit it, I was shouting 'cross it!'

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I didn't see the game either but a disappointing result given Southend's abject form going back over seasons. For all the chuntering (again) over Bowman, strikes me as our problem isn't scoring goals.

Our results so far this season (all comps)

0-2
3-2
2-2
0-2
2-1
2-0
4-3
2-2

One clean sheet in 8 games. 14 goals conceded.

We need to tighten up that end. Both goals (that I saw on SSN) today were poor.
Exactly right. We've not played especially well yet we've still scored two and forced the keeper into some decent saves. But somehow at the other end Southend had very few chances and yet have scored twice - still can't see anything on the iFollow footage, though, that suggests it should have been a penalty.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A really well taken goal by Fisher. Was not sure about the Jay/Caprice swap and again although Bowman had another quiet game he did slot the ball through for Joel Randall to run on to and score our first equaliser. Then wonder of wonders RB was substituted.

I thought when Jay came off that Ajose may have been given a chance but it was not to be.

I was a bit surprised to see Williams playing considering that it was being widely reported Preston, Stoke and Barnsley were taking an active interest in him and personally I did not think he did anything to enhance his reputation.

This game always had the potential to be the proverbial banana skin but although we left it very very late I felt a draw was a fair result.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Club's match report

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fisher, outside the box, left foot? I'll admit it, I was shouting 'cross it!'
We haven't seen much of him but I've always been impressed by what I've seen of Fisher so hopefully he'll get a run in the team now.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

hillview red

Feels like a point gained because of the lateness of the equaliser but think that when the dust settles we'll end up thinking that that was a missed opportunity for 3 points on he road.

I realise that some didn't appreciate Collins today but I love the fact that he constantly demands the ball and is always looking to either knit together the play or play a progressive pass. The very nature of the fact that he's on the ball so much means he'll lose it in more obvious ways on occasions. If there's a question mark over anyone in midfield, it's Jake for me... Lots of endeavour but not tidy enough for me in possession and cannot remember a significant contribution for a long time.

Joel Randell took his goal well but looked a little lost in the 10 role. Randell Williams is struggling to get going this season. He's working hard but very little end product at present and his delivery is not very threatening. Jay was quiet. I like him but if he's going to be a 10 he really needs to affect more than 1 in 5 games.

Bowman is a real concern for me. I suppose he's in there to be a "handful" for opposing centre halves but they seem to be having a very easy ride at present. We're also getting more balls in the box this season but Bowman rarely seems to be in the right place...

Josh Key again was very good particularly first half. Page was solid but will be disappointed to concede the pen (couldn't work out if it was stupid defending or very soft). Centre back pairing is good. Will be interesting to see how they cope with a rapid striker.

Anyway... Positive signs. The team is progressing and I sense that someone is in for a real hiding before long.

PS I know he's not flavour of the month but would love to see how Ajose would get along in a team with so much pace and movement (Randell, Williams, Key etc.). Think he could get on a roll...