• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Soccer AM

Poulticedale

At extortionate cost, and leaving myself justifiably open to accusations that I am part of a conglomerate that is ripping (has ripped?) the heart and soul out of higher division football, I recently signed up to Sky Sports 1 and 2.

I have enjoyed the occasional Premier League live game and, finding myself at a loss on a Saturday morning for the first time in a while last weekend (I'd proudly been to all three ECFC league games so far from my London base), I decided to check out Soccer AM.

I didn't know what to expect. I imagined it might be like a slightly less engaging version of Fantasy Football League, with some interesting interviews and highlights keeping it moving along. In short, I was willing to give it a go. This was, after all, the sports network that brought us Jeff Stelling.

F*cking hell. Never in my life have I been subject to a more pitiful display of televisual vapidity. You have to go some way to make the Johnstone's Paint Trophy draw even less appealing than it sounds, but by Jove they managed it. Brain-dead interviews, "comic" features that a primary school play would have scrapped as "dumbing down", and all set to the background tune of a bunch of gibbons from Cheltenham who thought it was hilarious to turn almost every statement made by anyone into an ill-scanning chant ("and next up, the draw for the Johnstone's Pain Trophy", cue "JOHNSTONES PAINT! JOHNSTONES PAINT!")

A particular nadir was reached with some mock Irish news reporter with a silly name (Pat O'Cake or something equally f*cking stupid), a comic interlude about as funny as an arrow in the neck with a gas bill tied to it.

I appreciate this may not come as news to you, but somebody must be watching this insipid crap. It goes on for two f*cking hours every f*cking Saturday morning for f*ck's sake. Can they please reveal themselves?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
And in other news, the Titanic has sunk.

It appeals to blokes who believe what they read in The Sun and use too much hair gel.

Saturday morning is R5 time.

Grecian_Jay

It alldepends how seriously you take yourself. There are 2 types of people:

1 - Up for a laugh at anything and doesn't take themselves too seriously
2 - Tight, miserable tw*ts who think of themselves as better than others for not appreciating 'less-sophistical' humour.

I am in the bracket of 1. I find it an entertaing programme that is easy to watch and you can just leave it and will chuckle at things.

Having visited these boards for many eyars I would guess I am in the minority here, as most of you take yourselves far too seriously and try and score points of each other (I like a 'cooler band', I read a better paper etc etc).

So yes I reveal myself as a soccer AM fan.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Saturday morning is R5 time.
[y] Danny Baker and Fighting Talk, Saturday isn't Saturday without listening to them.

LOG

Having visited these boards for many eyars I would guess I am in the minority here, as most of you take yourselves far too seriously and try and score points of each other (I like a 'cooler band', I read a better paper etc etc).
Hahahaha. Oh, the irony.

elginCity

most of you take yourselves far too seriously and try and score points of each other
It's 'score points off each other', FFS!

A377 Lad

I watched it just the one time, when I was 12 and I felt too old for it then.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
At extortionate cost, and leaving myself justifiably open to accusations that I am part of a conglomerate that is ripping (has ripped?) the heart and soul out of higher division football, I recently signed up to Sky Sports 1 and 2.

I have enjoyed the occasional Premier League live game and, finding myself at a loss on a Saturday morning for the first time in a while last weekend (I'd proudly been to all three ECFC league games so far from my London base), I decided to check out Soccer AM.

I didn't know what to expect. I imagined it might be like a slightly less engaging version of Fantasy Football League, with some interesting interviews and highlights keeping it moving along. In short, I was willing to give it a go. This was, after all, the sports network that brought us Jeff Stelling.

F*cking hell. Never in my life have I been subject to a more pitiful display of televisual vapidity. You have to go some way to make the Johnstone's Paint Trophy draw even less appealing than it sounds, but by Jove they managed it. Brain-dead interviews, "comic" features that a primary school play would have scrapped as "dumbing down", and all set to the background tune of a bunch of gibbons from Cheltenham who thought it was hilarious to turn almost every statement made by anyone into an ill-scanning chant ("and next up, the draw for the Johnstone's Pain Trophy", cue "JOHNSTONES PAINT! JOHNSTONES PAINT!")

A particular nadir was reached with some mock Irish news reporter with a silly name (Pat O'Cake or something equally f*cking stupid), a comic interlude about as funny as an arrow in the neck with a gas bill tied to it.

I appreciate this may not come as news to you, but somebody must be watching this insipid crap. It goes on for two f*cking hours every f*cking Saturday morning for f*ck's sake. Can they please reveal themselves?
think yourself lucky, it used to go on for three hours. why its been going on as long as it has is a mystery, about as funny as piles

Swanaldo

It appeals to blokes who believe what they read in The Sun and use too much hair gel.
Like this one?:

So yes I reveal myself as a soccer AM fan.
:D

Serious question for Grecian_Jay. How old are you? I'm guessing 13/14ish.

ecfc2000

One of the reasons why I jacked in Sky Sports. Soccer Am was a good show when Fenners and Lovejoy were on the scene in the late 90's. As the OP states, its a loads of pants now.