• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP redevelopment Plan A/B discussion

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Re: Update on the SJP works

There you go again Jan bringing sense into the debate !

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster

His name’s Yan - there’s a typo in his profile.

PeteUSA

At the risk of repeating myself, let's say that the front row of seats was 3m further forward. How would you have built that while still playing football on the pitch? This is a picture of where the site hoarding was placed for what I'd consider a tight site.
So you're suggesting the stand was set back as far as it is because the fence dictated to it?

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster

So you're suggesting the stand was set back as far as it is because the fence dictated to it?
I'm saying that the touchline dictated it, or at very least would've been somewhat of a headache were the stand to have been moved closer.

Look at the photo above and consider a few things:
1) the position of the touchline relative to the temporary hoarding
2) the position of the OG relative to the temporary hoarding (not a huge distance, I think you'll agree).
3) the size of machinery which was on site during the build (plenty of photos elsewhere in the thread)
4) the final position of the NOG, relative to the touchline.

To jog your memory, here's a photo Hants posted during construction

As you can see, even in the triangle area, the excavation is almost undermining the hoarding. At a rough guess I would say that they needed all of this as working space/to stop excavations collapsing during the construction of the retaining wall. You can also make out in the background that the far excavator is quite close to the hoarding. So in direct way, the hoarding restricted the build. However in reality I'm not sure that the hoarding could have been much closer to the pitch without impinging on play.

davemcmorrow

According to various websites the SJP pitch currently is 64 metres wide. This is 14 metres wider than the minimum width required. I'm definitely no expert but would making the whole pitch narrower for the duration of the redevelopment have been a possibility? Realistically this would have been for two seasons and in the close season the area that would have been within the hoarding would have had to be relaid.

The pitch could have been narrowed by a further 10 metres potentially enabling the new stand to be built further forward. You would however have had half a season with the new stand being miles away from the pitch once the fence was removed and the stand in use. Would there have been any remit in narrowing the pitch permanently slightly by say 2 metres to increase the area available to build on? Anyone know how our pitch width compares to other clubs?

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster

If those figures are correct then I assume it would be feasible. However the practicalities and cost would probably be prohibitive when balanced against the perceived benefits.

PeteUSA

According to various websites the SJP pitch currently is 64 metres wide. This is 14 metres wider than the minimum width required. I'm definitely no expert but would making the whole pitch narrower for the duration of the redevelopment have been a possibility? Realistically this would have been for two seasons and in the close season the area that would have been within the hoarding would have had to be relaid.

The pitch could have been narrowed by a further 10 metres potentially enabling the new stand to be built further forward. You would however have had half a season with the new stand being miles away from the pitch once the fence was removed and the stand in use. Would there have been any remit in narrowing the pitch permanently slightly by say 2 metres to increase the area available to build on? Anyone know how our pitch width compares to other clubs?
Thats a good post and raises some valid suggestions re: temporarily narrowing the pitch more than it currently is. I dont know where our pitch stands relevant to league requirements, but judging by some of the away grounds we've visited this season, its surely down amongst the minimum allowable? Regretfully its all to late now, but it appears from the picture above that a possible 2 yards might have been gained had the playing pitch been narrowed down. I'm surprised the planners didnt think how the front of the NOG would turn out when completed. You cant blame the builders.

Last edited:

Boyo

At the risk of repeating myself, let's say that the front row of seats was 3m further forward. How would you have built that while still playing football on the pitch? This is a picture of where the site hoarding was placed for what I'd consider a tight site.
So we could have shifted the touch line by 3m to give the builders the same amount of space up to the fence.

I think we’ll put the positioning of the new stand down as a wasted opportunity. Real shame.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster

So we could have shifted the touch line by 3m to give the builders the same amount of space up to the fence.

I think we’ll put the positioning of the new stand down as a wasted opportunity. Real shame.
Yeah, would've been nice to see some extra empty seats for 95% of the games we play, we'd have looked like a proper club then, instead of one with some embarrassment of a stand.

Boyo

Yeah, would've been nice to see some extra empty seats for 95% of the games we play, we'd have looked like a proper club then, instead of one with some embarrassment of a stand.
So you think the stand is embarrassing?