• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Shaun MacDonald

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst it appears according to the interweb that average L1 salaries are just over 4k a week that is skewed upwards by the bigger clubs. For the other two thirds like ourselves the average salary is probably half of that or less. I can't imagine we have many earners on 3k a week and suspect the majority of the first team squad to be in the 1500-2500 range. Therefore, my own complete guesswork is that the 2nd GK would be on more than the young pro's but less than the average of the 1st team squad players. I'm going 1350 a week which still add's up to 70k a year considerably more than working on a building site :ROFLMAO:
I don't think you're too far out with the figures, although I'd expect our higher earners (excluding loanees) such as Mitchell and Aimson are on 3k+ per week. I know Ajose was our first 3k per week player so I'd be surprised if our top earners had fallen below that, especially as we're a few years on

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
After being offered two contract extensions, could Kev & co have seen something in the clearly ambitious Shaun Macdonald to suggest he is ready to seize that No 1 shirt ? He's at an ideal age for a keeper. Harry Lee No 2, and sign a safe hands experienced No 3 like a Scott Brown for cover ?

Maybe after three seasons of loan/panic signings ... Dawson, Blackman and Sinisalo, the club now thinks it time to develop and test its own GK talent. Far too risky, or not ?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
After being offered two contract extensions, could Kev & co have seen something in the clearly ambitious Shaun Macdonald to suggest he is ready to seize that No 1 shirt ? He's at an ideal age for a keeper. Harry Lee No 2, and sign a safe hands experienced No 3 like a Scott Brown for cover ?

Maybe after three seasons of loan/panic signings ... Dawson, Blackman and Sinisalo, the club now thinks it time to develop and test its own GK talent. Far too risky, or not ?
It all depends on how the club rates Macdonald as to be a No 1, or whether they think Lee is ready. If the answer is yes to either then we don't need another keeper. However, if they're unsure and a keeper is available for a season long loan from a higher division, like a Dawson or a Sinisalo, then we need to pursue it. 1 year loan deals for keepers has worked out pretty well for us in recent times.

Number13

I think the issue is that both could be good enough but neither have shown it (because they haven't had the chance). Do we risk them as our only two as we did with Pym / Harmon and then Ward / Maxted with us being not sure (a) if either was good enough and (b) which was the No1. Because once we've decided after a few games, the good options might be gone or we might be out of the summer window

Yeah too risky. If that was GC’s thinking he would have been in the net for this last run of games wouldn’t he?
I think he’s seen as the ideal number 2.

elginCity

Yeah too risky. If that was GC’s thinking he would have been in the net for this last run of games wouldn’t he?
I think he’s seen as the ideal number 2.
Leaving aside any parent club conditions e.g percentage of wages/appearances, play if fit etc. longer term we'll get a better pick of loanees in future if we enhance our good loan club reputation as with Fulham & Brentford currently. You don't get that by not playing them. MacD turned down a Gull's contract to chase a FL No 1 jersey, and after 2 years as a No 2, think he would've moved on again had he not been given the nod already (and I know he denied it in his interview !).

andrew p long

Leaving aside any parent club conditions e.g percentage of wages/appearances, play if fit etc. longer term we'll get a better pick of loanees in future if we enhance our good loan club reputation as with Fulham & Brentford currently. You don't get that by not playing them. MacD turned down a Gull's contract to chase a FL No 1 jersey, and after 2 years as a No 2, think he would've moved on again had he not been given the nod already (and I know he denied it in his interview !).
Not so sure about that he would only styay if first choice. McDonald was released by Cheltenham this time last year and didn't get a contract elsewhere during the close season, nor during July and August, nor before the transfer deadline. He was out of football until 9th September. A year long contract as a Number 2 at ECFC, with the possibility of playing if the number 1 gets injured, suspended, off form etc would be much more attractive than being out of full time football again.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
With the high quality keepers we've had over the past few seasons (apart from blackman). I'd be a bit concerned if we went with macdonald as our first choice.

Agent Andy

Won’t happen , if Vil had got injured then Woods would have been given the jersey. McDonald is here because of his personality only ,

Bridgy 81

McDonald is here because of his personality only
Seems odd to me for a club to employ a professional footballer purely because of his personality.