• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Senior Reds

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks.

It does appear to me that the players are always looking to the management to instruct them during games. Is there a culture where they aren’t given the freedom/confidence to think for themselves?

Maybe a lack of leaders on the pitch?

When K Mac was here last season you could see he was a big influence on team mates and I felt the perfect type of character to help the young lads.
I was watching the Stick To Football podcast the other night where Roy Keane had the same observation about players looking to the touchline for guidance during games these days. There was a general feeling that this has progressively been the case in the last 10 years or so throughout English football where the game hasn't produced the same kind of culture of leadership and players taking their own feelings of how a game is going and what they need to do.

Interestingly I also heard Will Greenwood say the same about English Rugby this week. All about executing the game plan. It's maybe something that has more come from the coaching courses in the past few years and the way coaching teams set up.

Mid Devon Grecian

I was watching the Stick To Football podcast the other night where Roy Keane had the same observation about players looking to the touchline for guidance during games these days. There was a general feeling that this has progressively been the case in the last 10 years or so throughout English football where the game hasn't produced the same kind of culture of leadership and players taking their own feelings of how a game is going and what they need to do.

Interestingly I also heard Will Greenwood say the same about English Rugby this week. All about executing the game plan. It's maybe something that has more come from the coaching courses in the past few years and the way coaching teams set up.
Rugby has procession of ‘water carriers’ that charge on to the pitch during a break in play. In reality there’s more coaching going on than water being delivered.

In my opinion all of this over sophistication/micro management detracts from the entertainment quality of both games.

Rosencrantz

Rugby has procession of ‘water carriers’ that charge on to the pitch during a break in play. In reality there’s more coaching going on than water being delivered.

In my opinion all of this over sophistication/micro management detracts from the entertainment quality of both games.
Probably because what we consider an entertaining game as fans has as much to do with mistakes as good play. How many times over the years have you seen a manager interviewed after a 3-3 or 4-4 say they would have preferred a 0-0 or 1-1 as it would have meant less mistakes.

It's often why when you get two top teams play each other it is more likely to turn out a tight, dull game. Because neither side make many mistakes. You can have a game of great quality where both sides probe and keep the ball and look to open up the opposition, but because of the quality of out of ball set up and high concentration, you can end up with a game of little goal mouth action. When you get teams of less quality with the ball, but well set up out of possession, it becomes too risk free because of fear of making mistakes. In whatever sport you play, removing that fear factor is key. We still play with too much fear at the moment.

iscalad

Now happening at major tennis events having previously been banned.
Sad to think athletes can't/aren't able to think for themselves.

iscalad

Our well attended March meeting featured Kevin Nicholson as guest, talking exclusively about the Grecians today.

We like to mix things up a bit, so for our April event we go back a few years. Fifty to be precise, as our guest will be former Grecian and Scottish International Dave Gibson.

Dave made his professional debut with Hibernian, and went on to spend eight years with Leicester City before moving on to Aston Villa. He joined Exeter City from Villa in 1972 and made seventy one appearances for the club in the two years he was with us.

He gathered seven Scottish caps along the way, including one in a stormy encounter against Austria, playing alongside the likes of Denis Law, Ian Ure and Dave Mackay. I think I'm right in saying he'll be the first guest we've had who's scored a goal at the Bernabeu Stadium.

This meeting will take place in the John Lewis Trust Suite on Tuesday 23rd April. Doors will open at 1pm for the customary refreshments and social chat, with the meeting itself starting at 2pm.

It’s not every day you get the chance to hear from an international footballer from a time when the game was very different to what it is now, and Dave has many stories and memories to share. Now in his mid 80's, he'll be travelling across from Yeovil to specifically talk to us, so let's give him a warm welcome.

Please come along and join us for what will surely be a lively session. All members and all supporters welcome.

iscalad

Hi all
Just a reminder that our next meeting will take place on Tuesday 23rd April, when we'll be joined by former Grecian and Scottish international Dave Gibson. It's very likely that one or two of Dave's City team mates will be present too for what will surely be a lively afternoon, as we hear about life as a top level professional footballer in the 1960's and early 70's.

The doors will open in the John Lewis Trust Suite at 1pm for the usual refreshments and social chat. Paul Farley has kindly agreed to open the Club Museum as well and, as usual, displays there are always changing.

Please note that the meeting itself will start 10 minutes earlier than usual at 1.50pm.

Also, please note that the lift at the club is currently out of order and likely will be for a few weeks. Please let me know if this is an issue for you.

I hope as many as possible will be able to make it on the 23rd, and please feel free to bring fellow supporters.

iscalad

Bump for this meeting. Should be a fun one as I hear Dave has loads of good stories.

andrew p long

Really gutted to be missing this. Dave was/is one of my favourite City players ever. A wand of a left foot and possibly the best creative midfield player I've ever seen for City (think Colin Randell, Ryan Harley etc). Made even better IIRC by being often in the same line up as Tony Scott on the wing.

iscalad

Don't forget this one tomorrow. 1.50pm start.

Exehausted

Unfortunately I can't make this either. Like Andrew Long he was a real favourite of mine. So cultured in his style of play. I'm sure it will be a great event and is there any chance of a live on line feed or edited highlights, like there was when Peter Shearing was a guest?