• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scottish football.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Edinburgh City Football Club have better initials though, David.
I remember in the early days of the Trust era when the Far Post wanted to produce ecfc.uk beanie hats. French Connection were getting tetchy and potentially litigious with football clubs which they considered to be threatening their fcuk branding ! We were considered safe as long as we didn't use the same lettering font, as along with a surprising number of other clubs with the same initials, we had existed long before French Connection came into being, and thus they couldn't trade mark the initials. Someone came up with a list (RHK ?) which unfortunately I can't recall in its entirety, but along with Elgin City and Ely City included my personal favourite Easington Colliery.

Easington Colliery pit closed in April 1983 (an early victim of Thatcher's assault on the mining industry), but the Miners Club and Football team, still exist today. In one of those peculiar twists of fate, Maggie passed from this world exactly on the 30th anniversary of the closure. Boy did they party and celebrate in the Club that night ! There is a short video clip on line, which if someone with better skills than myself could post a link to, is highly amusing. It is "easi" to find, just search under Easington Colliery.

Anybody fancy having a stab at other ECFCs ?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember in the early days of the Trust era when the Far Post wanted to produce ecfc.uk beanie hats. French Connection were getting tetchy and potentially litigious with football clubs which they considered to be threatening their fcuk branding ! We were considered safe as long as we didn't use the same lettering font, as along with a surprising number of other clubs with the same initials, we had existed long before French Connection came into being, and thus they couldn't trade mark the initials. Someone came up with a list (RHK ?) which unfortunately I can't recall in its entirety, but along with Elgin City and Ely City included my personal favourite Easington Colliery.

Easington Colliery pit closed in April 1983 (an early victim of Thatcher's assault on the mining industry), but the Miners Club and Football team, still exist today. In one of those peculiar twists of fate, Maggie passed from this world exactly on the 30th anniversary of the closure. Boy did they party and celebrate in the Club that night ! There is a short video clip on line, which if someone with better skills than myself could post a link to, is highly amusing. It is "easi" to find, just search under Easington Colliery.

Anybody fancy having a stab at other ECFCs ?
Eastwood Communuty Football Club based outside Nottingham

Oldsmobile-88

I would love to see another pre-season tour of Scotland.The one in 2015 was great,around 50 Grecians travelled & stayed around Methil for the East Fife game,where we were all exceptionally well treated(food was put on in their suite) then we moved on to Arbroath for the 2nd game.Another great evening.

Not the glamour of a trip to Europe maybe,but I know were I would rather be.

If Carlesburg did pre -season trips.

Oldsmobile-88

First win for Fort William in the Highland League for over 2 & a half years last night(883 days)
A 1-0 win over Inverness Clachnacuddin last night.
Now at the heady heights of 4th from bottom.

Avening Posse

I would love to see another pre-season tour of Scotland.The one in 2015 was great,around 50 Grecians travelled & stayed around Methil for the East Fife game,where we were all exceptionally well treated(food was put on in their suite) then we moved on to Arbroath for the 2nd game.Another great evening.

Not the glamour of a trip to Europe maybe,but I know were I would rather be.

If Carlesburg did pre -season trips.
The Indian in Dundee was good too :)

Oldsmobile-88

The Indian in Dundee was good too :)
That was the best Indian meal I have ever had.
The restaurant was on the recommendation of a friend of RaWZ who lived in Dundee iirc.

Oldsmobile-88

Fort William won 5-0 against Vale of Lethen in the 1st round of the Scottish Cup.Without checking I expect that is their biggest win in the competition & probably the 1st time they have reached the 2nd round.

Things have vastly improved at Claggan Park this season..I can feel a visit to the West Highlands coming again soon.

grecIAN Harris

I see Lochee United, from Dundee, won their first round match also. I remember giving them a good thrashing when I was playing for Tayport.

Oldsmobile-88

Fort William have been draw away to Albion Rovers on 19th Oct in the Scottish Cup 2nd rd.
A shame it’s in Coatbridge because it would have been a good excuse to go to FW if the draw had been other way round.
Having already been to Coatbridge to watch Albion Rovers a decade ago,it is not the most appealing town to visit to put it mildly.

Oldsmobile-88

A few London Exiles are on a visit to Nairn County FC on Wednesday to watch the game at Station Park against Clachnacuddin in the Highland League.
They have sponsored the match ball along with the exiled Argyle London group.

Nice few days away from the smoke.