• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scottish football.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I dont think it was airdrie that went bust It was clyde bank, I
Airdrieonians went bust first circa 2002.to be replaced by Gretna.Clydebank went to the wall in 2003 & a new team in Airdrie was formed & took Clydebanks place in the SFL..a unusual set of circumstances to say the least.

Incidently East Stirlingshires place in the Scottish second division in 1965 was taken by Clydebank(similar to the MK Dons move) & the club was called ES Clydebank for one season,before the fans of the Shire took the owners of Clydebank to court & got their club back.
Clydebank eventually joined the SFL in 1967 following the demise of Third Lanark.

MikeB

Third Lanark really had fallen from grace by 1967. Indeed in their last season in the Scottish League they only averaged attendances of 703 for league matches at their Cathkin Park ground.

Last edited:

heathy1

Airdrieonians went bust first circa 2002.to be replaced by Gretna.Clydebank went to the wall in 2003 & a new team in Airdrie was formed & took Clydebanks place in the SFL..a unusual set of circumstances to say the least.

Incidently East Stirlingshires place in the Scottish second division in 1965 was taken by Clydebank(similar to the MK Dons move) & the club was called ES Clydebank for one season,before the fans of the Shire took the owners of Clydebank to court & got their club back.
Clydebank eventually joined the SFL in 1967 following the demise of Third Lanark.
Did all the old Clydebank fans just become fans of Clyde instead?

Oldsmobile-88

Did all the old Clydebank fans just become fans of Clyde instead?
I doubt it.Clyde moved from their ground at Shawfield(the dogs stadium on Sky sports sometimes) in 1986 & went to Hamilton until 1994.They then relocated about 40 miles from their original home to the new town of Cumbernald to the East of Glasgow.

Clydebank were similarly nomadic moving from their home for many years,New Kilbowie Park(great name) to Dumbarton & Grennock(Morton) before they went bust.

They had to move from New Kilbowie Park after the owners sold it.

Similar names but a long way apart geographically.

MikeB

Shawfield Stadium really was a ramshackle ground. When i went there, we asked someone if we could have a look around the palce. We heard him go up the wooden steps and say to someone else: "There's two Englishmen here who want to have a look at the ground." We thought we had no chance, but to be fair they let us in. Really old ground which had seen better days. I recall walking all the way around the dog track on the outside of the pitch.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

I went to Arbroath last season & saw them in a CIS game against Elgin City.
Gayfield is right on the North Sea a bit breezy i must say.The Elgin Keeper had a Pink Jersey as well much to the amusement of locals!

I know Arbroath is famous for its smokies,but i got to the ground & a empty hotel near the ground had burnt down & there was smoke from that drifting across the ground.
Not the smokies i was expecting!!!

MikeB

Gayfield is yet another ground where you would have to wear thermals in the winter watching football!

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Gayfield is yet another ground where you would have to wear thermals in the winter watching football!
That ground must be the closest of any in British senior football to the sea.20 yards or so.

rogerc

Oldsmobile-88; said:
That ground must be the closest of any in British senior football to the sea.20 yards or so.
Hartlepool isn't much further away, nor Grimsby

B

Barmy Grecian

I have only seen a few scottish grounds and inverness is one of them,but just enjoy it, also it must be difficult with local rivas as there so many of them especially around the glasgow area, Inverness's main rivas are Ross county and aberdeen. And it maes me wonder why havent carlisle played in the scottish leagues because I am sure they could, ifgretna could pay in engand then carlisle coud pay in scotland