• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scott Brown joins as player GK coach

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
The odd thing is that Reading have a whole class full of keepers and you wonder what they will do with them all...I'm not sure that they will want to 'bail out' on either of the young ones Jokull and James Holden, but they have three keepers in front of them for playing time at the club..I think that Jokull will want to be playing further up the pyramid, particularly as he's starting a promising international career...
Jokull may now have an admirer at Bradford City which could throw a bit of a spanner into the works.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wondered whether Matt played with Scott at Cheltenham, but Scott left them for Aberdeen in the close season that Matt joined them, so he would have been aware of him then and probably had good reports at the time.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jokull seems to be our number one target for keeper, almost certainly on loan as I doubt Reading will let him go permanently yet. Brown's signing gives us breathing space to wait for a decision on Jokull one way or the other. If he doesn't come back then we will look elsewhere for another keeper but it won't be a blind panic as we have an experienced keeper in the house. This all looks like a shrewd move with few drawbacks.

Even better if Harry Lee signs. Jokull on loan for season, Lee getting a few games in the trophy and on the bench, experienced back up when required along with coaching. Jack Arthur gets experience out on loan. If Lee progresses as hoped by Matt, the pathway is clear for him in 2022/23. If not we just look for another keeper.*

*Second paragraph dream scenario 😉
I think the best thing about this signing is that we now have an experienced keeper who is happy to sit on the bench every week and not play, which, as you say, allows Jack to go out on loan and play regularly.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if he is yet to obtain any coaching badges and will therefore be doing them as the season progresses, which is why he's only available to play in emergencies?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if he is yet to obtain any coaching badges and will therefore be doing them as the season progresses, which is why he's only available to play in emergencies?
I also wondered about the coaching badges as well as no mention in any of the interviews, but does appear to value community work within a club.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

So basically Scott Brown is the new Andy Marriot.

Andy_H

So basically Scott Brown is the new Andy Marriot.
or Mel Gwinnett!

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
or Mel Gwinnett!
Was MG ever registered?

Andy_H

Was MG ever registered?
Certifiable but possibly not 'registered'!

Boyo

Given he didn't feature in the game last night, can we assume he's Rotherham bound?