• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sam Gallagher

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Sam Gallagher & Sean Goss were both in the same school year (and school football team,) at QES, Crediton & are good friends.
Gossy was signed for City aged 8 & Gallagher signed for Argyle aged 9 (I think !)
Gossy was signed from Crediton Youth (where he was allowed to play until he was 14,) & I don't think that Gallagher was ever allowed to play for anyone else (apart from school teams,) & City never had any chance of signing him as his Dad (a former pro,) took him directly to Argyle for trials . It was interesting to contrast the approach of the two clubs attitudes to the lads.
It would've wrecked their lives being that involved at such a young age & being deemed, not quite good enough. I am fairly sure that I have got my facts correct ! I hope that they both have long & great careers, they've sacrificed a lot & earned it.
It certainly is interesting how to approach youngsters with talent in this regard, would be interesting to see it from their POV for sure. A Cricket mate of mine has a son who is around 10/11 now and is on the books of Crystal Palace (and Sorry CCC - he's already a better player than his Dad...). I'm keen to see how he gets on (or not) and his treatment.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sam Gallagher & Sean Goss ..... they've sacrificed a lot & earned it.
I find myself wondering what on earth these people may have 'sacrificed' to be where they are. I know of people who have had to make 'real' sacrifices in their lives, not imaginary ones. I don't count having to put time in training for a sport as a 'sacrifice'.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I find myself wondering what on earth these people may have 'sacrificed' to be where they are. I know of people who have had to make 'real' sacrifices in their lives, not imaginary ones. I don't count having to put time in training for a sport as a 'sacrifice'.
A mate of mine at school was thought to be very dopey, always half asleep (sometimes completely asleep!). The teachers were also somewhat concerned, and it was only when he explained that he had to get up at the crack of dawn each morning, travel to Reading to train, go to school, then travel again to Reading to train, that the penny dropped - he ended up competing in the Winter Olympics at speed skating.

This Gallagher fella will have essentially had to give up most of his childhood outside school in order to fulfill his dream of making it as a Footballer. I'd call that a sacrifice.

Leads

He's from Newton St Cyres.

I think the poster was referring to the sacrifices the parents had to make? Long way to Plymouth etc. QE has two players currently playing for the Chiefs too, for a school that puts no effort into sport it is a pretty good record!

ralph

A mate of mine at school was thought to be very dopey, always half asleep (sometimes completely asleep!). The teachers were also somewhat concerned, and it was only when he explained that he had to get up at the crack of dawn each morning, travel to Reading to train, go to school, then travel again to Reading to train, that the penny dropped - he ended up competing in the Winter Olympics at speed skating.

This Gallagher fella will have essentially had to give up most of his childhood outside school in order to fulfill his dream of making it as a Footballer. I'd call that a sacrifice.
He's working hard to achieve his dream, i.e. what he wants to do in life. It's not a sacrifice. He's giving up what others think are worth doing but he doesn't.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
He's working hard to achieve his dream, i.e. what he wants to do in life. It's not a sacrifice. He's giving up what others think are worth doing but he doesn't.
Have to agree to disagree - I think it is exactly a sacrifice. How otherwise would you define "sacrifice" if not giving up something that others think are worth doing but your priorities lie elsewhere?

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Both nice lads , know both from being a local lad and all that jazz....

Good luck to both

Cos

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Sad news indeed, prayers & thoughts go to Sam & his family

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad news indeed, prayers & thoughts go to Sam & his family
Echo this.