• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Who?ley

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
My dad saw his Swansea friendly appearance and liked him. Not greedy enough though - was willing him to get his shots off.

He did, however, miss the last friendly due to, her hum, blisters.

Grecian1966

I've got tickets for the Swans friendly against Real Betis on 6 Aug and hope Ryan gets some time on the pitch. Whatever happens to Ryan from here on in I say good luck to him. At the very least he has contract security for the next 3 years which for many footballers is something they could only dream of. In years to come people will look back on Ryan and recognise what a good player he was for us - perhaps one of the best ever. Sincerely hope we get Ryan back again at some stage in the future.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed, we were 5 points off relegation, and 5 points off the playoffs, when we sold him.

The big decision at the time was "Sell him, get a little cash but possibly get relegated" or "Keep him, get no cash but possibly get promoted" - I know which option I preferred at the time and with hindsight proved a good move.
I know this will be heresy to most, but I'm not sure this is supported by the facts.

In my view, good player though he is, SRH contributed much less after the transfer talk started and then he signed for Swansea on 21 January. In terms of goals only the two at Carlisle from open play and a pen at Charlton after Xmas; and for about a month or so (early Jan to early Feb) he didn't play well IMO. It was only after the away wins at Notts and Charlton that we started to move up. We can't know what would have happened if he'd gone to Brighton for a fee. Maybe we'd have got someone good on loan, or Shephard might have got a chance, or...

Sandstorm

If he'd gone to Brighton, City would have got some dosh and Harley would have got some games...Then again, he didn't have to move house:S
Do we know how much was offered?

We had no control over the Harley deal as he was free to negotiate. I'm happy with the deal we got on the loan-back as it very nearly paid off with us so near the play-off spots.

I fear he isn't going to make it now they have been promoted but wish him the best of luck. Whatever happens, he's got himself a tasty contract to sit on before he makes any decisions about moving on :)

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
So you think that Tisdale should have given up on the season (or worse; we were still looking over our shoulders at the drop zone in January) by selling our most influential player for what was commonly quoted as being 'a derisory sum'?
Well as I don't know what the so called "derisory" sum was, maybe its better not to comment but in general I think the move would probably have been better for him and better for us.

Red Monster

Well as I don't know what the so called "derisory" sum was, maybe its better not to comment but in general I think the move would probably have been better for him and better for us.
You might be right, but if he didn't want to go to Brighton it doesn't matter how much
they offered us, we couldnt force him to sign for them.

Willy Nilly

I know this will be heresy to most, but I'm not sure this is supported by the facts.

In my view, good player though he is, SRH contributed much less after the transfer talk started and then he signed for Swansea on 21 January. In terms of goals only the two at Carlisle from open play and a pen at Charlton after Xmas; and for about a month or so (early Jan to early Feb) he didn't play well IMO. It was only after the away wins at Notts and Charlton that we started to move up. We can't know what would have happened if he'd gone to Brighton for a fee. Maybe we'd have got someone good on loan, or Shephard might have got a chance, or...
He had a dip in form during the transfer talks but he was back to somewhere near his best by the end of the season.

He will be a massive miss.

For once, I think Tisdale showed some b*ll*cks in keeping him until the end of the season and going for the play-offs.

SDRighton

Cast iron City legend - best of luck to him. Would love to see him making a few Premier League appearances.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I expect Tis will make a cheeky loan bid for him in January if he's getting no game time for them.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Surely if Tisdale is the hero you all think he is then we wouldn't have got relegated no matter what who we sold...