• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Harley at the game yesterday?

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
100% agree mate.
Tisdale agrees also, which will hopefully count for something.

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we get a million for him I'd be amazed and delighted in equal measure.

He needs to add goals from open play to maximise his value imho, has he even scored from open play yet ??

Last edited:

KellowsLoveChild

I very much doubt many league 2 clubs have owners who pull out cash at the drop of a hat, can you prove me otherwise ??
No, not to be able to put their hand in their pocket necessarily but somebody of this skill set ie being able to make money, which is a considerable skill, would surely benefit us more than having a group of people who arent as capable of it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
How many other league 2 clubs have this kind of individual ??

I very much doubt many league 2 clubs have owners who pull out cash at the drop of a hat, can you prove me otherwise ??

Most league 2 clubs struggle through each season with considerable financial restraints.
Most have someone who is able to put in more than the Trust does, but you're right in that there are fewer "sugar daddies" around than previously. Morecambe and Mansfield are the obvious ones, Bury have splashed the cash under a new owner, Plym**th's owner is obviously well off but he's obviously only in it for the ground. Stevenage now funnel money in through "sponsorship" (as do Mansfield). EDIT: Sorry, forgot Northampton, who have a rich owner ploughing in the moolah.

I'd suggest there may be only one club in this division that pays in less than our Trust - Dagenham, who have done well out of picking up talent from the local non-league scene and turning them into saleable assets, the latest being Dwight Gayle. Maybe Wycombe too, their world may come crashing down now they won't be getting rent out of the eggchasers.

Aside from Wycombe, the other Trust-run club in our division, Wimbledon, has a rich fan ploughing in money directly to fund player wages, e.g. the £3.5K per week for Matt Tubbs.

Last edited:

LOG

Barry McConnell was there last night [tap]

malcolms

If we get a million for him I'd be amazed and delighted in equal measure.

He needs to add goals from open play to maximise his value imho, has he even scored from open play yet ??
Remind me, when was the last time a million pounds was paid for a player from the fourth division......?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Remind me, when was the last time a million pounds was paid for a player from the fourth division......?
Not sure, but there was recently a million pound fee for a player in the Conference - Jamie Vardy.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, hang on, £6 million was paid for a L2 player in 2012.

Antony Moxey

What's your failing memory got to with anything? Just because you can't remember doesn't mean it can't happen.

Grecian_Jay

Oh, hang on, £6 million was paid for a L2 player in 2012.
Who was that? Genuine question, I can't remember.