• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rory McArdle joins. Now signs for Harrogate

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rob Edwards was 33 when he signed for us.
Laurent Blanc was 35 when Man Utd signed him and then won the premier league

Dannyred

I'm not sure why there is concern for McArdle's age. So long as he's fit 33 is no problem at all and should have a good few years left in him yet. There have been premier league centre halves older than 33 and still perform at the highest level. I'd sooner have a 33 year old fit centre half than a 23 year old fit centre half. Experience counts for a lot in that position.
Yet MT released an experienced local legend in dean moxey who was apparently past it at 33 ?

benjisheps

Yet MT released an experienced local legend in dean moxey who was apparently past it at 33 ?
Deano is actually 34 and turns 35 during next season. McArdle has only just turned 33 and more importantly plays in a position where we needed to sign someone. I actually think that if there wasn't a pandemic we may have kept Deano for one more year as cover on a reduced contract. However; MT has also spoken about creating pathways for our younger players and we have Sparkes who will start as a our LB and we have Hartridge who will need to provide cover as both a LB and LCB. If we want MT to give our academy prospects opportunities to come through this makes sense, especially with a restricted budget.

Dannyred

Deano is actually 34 and turns 35 during next season. McArdle has only just turned 33 and more importantly plays in a position where we needed to sign someone. I actually think that if there wasn't a pandemic we may have kept Deano for one more year as cover on a reduced contract. However; MT has also spoken about creating pathways for our younger players and we have Sparkes who will start as a our LB and we have Hartridge who will need to provide cover as both a LB and LCB. If we want MT to give our academy prospects opportunities to come through this makes sense, especially with a restricted budget.
I actually thought Deano would of been value for money as a player coach for next season to bring on the young players. Nobody better than a local lad who has been there done it.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I actually thought Deano would of been value for money as a player coach for next season to bring on the young players. Nobody better than a local lad who has been there done it.
In an ideal world maybe. But we've already had to economise on our GK coach so an additional coach, even he was a back up player wouldn't make sense. Football is full of tough decisions and Matt had a few to make this summer.

manc grecian

What has his place of birth got do with his coaching capabilities?

benjisheps

Again, don't disagree, but our budget is tight this year, and we already have MT, Wayne Carlisle, Dan Green, and Conor Derbidge as our coaching staff. We had to make our GK coach (who is supposed to be very good) redundant which highlights the cuts that needed to be made.
Take Wembley out of the equation and I actually think Deano had a very good year, but again due to the circumstances I totally understand why he wasn't offered a new deal.
I also wouldn't be surprised if he is back at the club in the future in some type of role.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
and what a flop he was
;)
A Flop - we would not be out of non league without Rob Edwards v Torquay v Cambridge etc plus his involvement with Academy.

iscalad

A Flop - we would not be out of non league without Rob Edwards v Torquay v Cambridge etc plus his involvement with Academy.
Oh dear.....

Dannyred

Again, don't disagree, but our budget is tight this year, and we already have MT, Wayne Carlisle, Dan Green, and Conor Derbidge as our coaching staff. We had to make our GK coach (who is supposed to be very good) redundant which highlights the cuts that needed to be made.
Take Wembley out of the equation and I actually think Deano had a very good year, but again due to the circumstances I totally understand why he wasn't offered a new deal.
I also wouldn't be surprised if he is back at the club in the future in some type of role.
I thought he had a good season and was worth a revised 12 month contract as he also brings so much experience to the team and the bit of being a local lad helps compared to others.