• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rory McArdle joins. Now signs for Harrogate

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps he's sick of him booting the ball out of play or getting out jumped at the back post.
Perhaps he is. MT did mention that Caprice was good at covering the back post. But my point was is there a rumour that MT wants to.get rid?

Colesman Ballz

Perhaps he's sick of him booting the ball out of play or getting out jumped at the back post.
Matt may just be worried about his car windscreen out at the cat 'n' fiddle ? 😎

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, first choice cover for two positions in a season with lots of ‘three games a week’ seems like quite a big and important job. So I am struggling to see why MT appears to want to drive Sweeney out of the club.
How is he driving Sweeney out? Nothing wrong with competition for the RB position

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure why there is concern for McArdle's age. So long as he's fit 33 is no problem at all and should have a good few years left in him yet. There have been premier league centre halves older than 33 and still perform at the highest level. I'd sooner have a 33 year old fit centre half than a 23 year old fit centre half. Experience counts for a lot in that position.

andrew p long

Perhaps he is. MT did mention that Caprice was good at covering the back post. But my point was is there a rumour that MT wants to.get rid?
it was me who suggested that. The basis is a) MT has said that he has told certain players that they won’t play much and are free to leave which would improve the budget for further signings b) MT then set out that his priorities for new signings were in precisely the two positions that Sweeney has played c) it looks like the number two shirt has been taken away from Sweeney and given to Capriice, without him having to battle it out with Sweeney for the RB spot first. Putting those three things together...

(Also it was said on another thread that Sweeney was wearing 26 and something about Sweeney and Ajose training with the development squad. Anyone know whether that is true or speculation?)

Rosencrantz

Is McArdle a Warren-esque back up and we aim to resign/get another CB (now there’s rumours of Chrisene/Watkins) or is he a starter?
He is going to be a starter. He played 31 games for Scunny last season starting regularly until lockdown. Warren was more of a gamble as he was in and out with injuries at Yeovil the season before we signed him.

With the amount of games built up there will be some rotating in all areas I would think. Another centre back coming in will depend on additional funds and probably the performances of Jordan Dyer in pre season to prove he is capable of stepping up to Matt.

I think you have to let Aaron Martin go, he will get picked up elsewhere and is not what Matt wants anyway.

IndoMike

OK Andrew. Yep, there's some circumstantial evidence that Sweeney might have been demoted. If that is true, will he decide to stay and fight it out or seek new pastures -, which
might not be so easy to do. If the circumstantial evidence is that Sweeney and Ajose were training with the development squad, that means there is a problem with Ajose, too.
But could there by any other reason why they were training with the development squad? Something more innocent? Extra training or something?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure why there is concern for McArdle's age. So long as he's fit 33 is no problem at all and should have a good few years left in him yet. There have been premier league centre halves older than 33 and still perform at the highest level. I'd sooner have a 33 year old fit centre half than a 23 year old fit centre half. Experience counts for a lot in that position.
Rob Edwards was 33 when he signed for us.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
and what a flop he was
;)

STURTZ

Yeah and hopefully McArdle's career will dovetail with the emergent Cheik Diabate over the next few seasons as Rob's did with TAH.