• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Preston North End vs Exeter City Matchday Thread

Rog H K

£250k out of the liverpool and argyle games. Where will that be spent?? just disappear into the exeter black hole i guess. When are we actually going to splash out?! the Trust must have money if things go tits up?! especially with all those "hardcore" city fans signing up just for a Liverpool ticket!

SPEND SOME MONEY!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spend_Spend_Spend

bigtrees

Spend, spend, spend? Who's going to pay the bills? Our sugar daddy?

Get a grip, we are in the middle of a recession, the club has no overdraft, so any spare cash will keep the club out of debt. Maybe a small amount will be given to Tis, but don't expect a late bid for Nasri.

greenawayr

We're a funny breed. I will put good money that at least once in this season we will be having a discussion about pushing for the playoffs.

4 games gone, not a good start, but our manager said himself that he'd be surprised if we really got going before the end of August as the team hadn't quite gelled as he wanted. We've put in an improved performance with two half fit strikers who haven't played before, and as a team effort to go away, go down to 10 men in the first half and only concede 1 goal is a decent effort.

I am more than confident in predicting a good run of results in September/October, a further dip in form after christmas and then the traditional second half of the season charge up the table.

t.a.f.k.a.g.g.

We're a funny breed. I will put good money that at least once in this season we will be having a discussion about pushing for the playoffs.

4 games gone, not a good start, but our manager said himself that he'd be surprised if we really got going before the end of August as the team hadn't quite gelled as he wanted. We've put in an improved performance with two half fit strikers who haven't played before, and as a team effort to go away, go down to 10 men in the first half and only concede 1 goal is a decent effort.

I am more than confident in predicting a good run of results in September/October, a further dip in form after christmas and then the traditional second half of the season charge up the table.
Thread closed! Well summarised :)

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
There are pluses. It sounds as if Boozer and Nardiello came thru OK .
I dont know how you arrived at that conclusion about Nardiello Mike, it sounded like he took a knock midway through the second half, and was ultimately playing at "walking pace" for the latter stages of the game. Sounds for all the world like another spell on the sick list to me!

Grecian_Jay

This sh*t start all stems from a sh*t amateur pre-season. I said at the time it would cost us a good start and look what's happened.

Yes it's early days but no goals from open play in the league is worrying whatever kind of spin you put on it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Nards had a good game. Should have been replaced when he was injured though. Slowed right down. Alwys looked like he might create something.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
This sh*t start all stems from a sh*t amateur pre-season. I said at the time it would cost us a good start and look what's happened.

Yes it's early days but no goals from open play in the league is worrying whatever kind of spin you put on it.
Not sure you can come to that conclusion, Jay. Coincidence, correlation and cause are not the same things.

If we'd had several hard PSFs against tough opponents, doubtless someone would blame the poor start on that.

greenawayr

What winds me up with refs is the complete inconsistency of how rules are implemented.

The other week I was watching a game, man clean through on goal, taken down in the penalty area, yellow card and a penalty. Today, sounds exactly the same and it's a red card and penalty.

I don't care what the rules are as long as they are applied to everyone!

For me, the red card for the "professional" foul is issued when a player stops a clear goal scoring opportunity, correct? So if a player fouls an opponent outside the area when he's through on goal, which only results in a free kick, then a red card seems logical. However, it the offence takes place inside the box, resulting in a penalty, would not agree that the penalty is as clear a goalscoring opportunity as you get, therefore a red card is not warranted?

"What if he misses the penalty?" I hear you cry. Well I would retort with, what if he misses the one-on-one! That's football. You had your opportunity, you either take it or you miss it. As long as the opportunity is presented to you in one way or another, then I don't see how a red card can be given.

Again, if it's a free kick, the opposition has time to regroup, form a wall and you lose the opportunity of a clear goalscoring chance, hence the red card!!!

That's my take on it, I really can't fathom how the suits at FIFA and UEFA can make such a simple job so complicated and "grey" that the officials are unable to implement it consistently.

Rant over!

Grecian_Jay

Not sure you can come to that conclusion, Jay. Coincidence, correlation and cause are not the same things.

If we'd had several hard PSFs against tough opponents, doubtless someone would blame the poor start on that.
Well I have come to that conclusion so looks like I can. We have been slow out the blocks, picked up stupid injuries and looked like strangers playing together. Now I'm gonna say that the 'first choice 11' only playing about 90mins each throughout the whole pre-season has something to do with that.