• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pre season training

Cygnus

With no sightings of Jonathan Grounds at training today, it looks like he hasn’t accepted Matt’s contract offer and even though George Ray has a year to run his contract, his non appearance would suggest that we will hear soon that he has been released from his deal. As he didn’t seem to be part of Matt’s plans anymore while on load at Leyton Orient.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we can appreciate that unlike his predecessor MT is more than happy to freshen up his squad rather than keep players based on former glories/contributions. He makes offers or not based on the value of that player going forward. Grounds I suspect has been offered a short term deal maybe till Christmas to prove his worth and Grounds will want to see if anything else is out there? In the same way he hasnt offered Podge or Oz anything whereas I suspect the last manager would have given them 2 year deals :) Regards Ray it's difficult to gauge what is happening but may have been made available for offers? Of course if no offers materialise maybe we will see him back at a later stage?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Regards Ray it's difficult to gauge what is happening but may have been made available for offers? Of course if no offers materialise maybe we will see him back at a later stage?
I wouldn't be sad to see Ray come back. I thought he was one of our better performers whilst he was with us and was shocked to see him loaned out to Orient. Clearly MT thought different

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't be sad to see Ray come back. I thought he was one of our better performers whilst he was with us and was shocked to see him loaned out to Orient. Clearly MT thought different
I think that was being practical. With Sam Stubbs and Cheick's emergence George had gone down the selection ranks even though he had played well in large on the middle of a back three. We had to get extra cover in up front in January so to give George the option of getting first team football also gave us some cash back in the budget. The decision was still George's but it made sense from the clubs side as well.

I expect the same decision might be being made now with regards to whether the money could be used better in another area of the squad. The decision again will be George's though as he is under contract. I wouldn't be unhappy to see him stay and fight for his place. He is a solid defender and looks a good character. Like last Xmas and New Year time, you never know what chances football tends to throw up for someone out of the side.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that was being practical. With Sam Stubbs and Cheick's emergence George had gone down the selection ranks even though he had played well in large on the middle of a back three. We had to get extra cover in up front in January so to give George the option of getting first team football also gave us some cash back in the budget. The decision was still George's but it made sense from the clubs side as well.

I expect the same decision might be being made now with regards to whether the money could be used better in another area of the squad. The decision again will be George's though as he is under contract. I wouldn't be unhappy to see him stay and fight for his place. He is a solid defender and looks a good character. Like last Xmas and New Year time, you never know what chances football tends to throw up for someone out of the side.
George No 9 ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great video but I’m a bit disappointed there doesn’t appear to be a random tríallist for us to try and identify.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
With no sightings of Jonathan Grounds at training today, it looks like he hasn’t accepted Matt’s contract offer and even though George Ray has a year to run his contract, his non appearance would suggest that we will hear soon that he has been released from his deal. As he didn’t seem to be part of Matt’s plans anymore while on load at Leyton Orient.
I suspect Ray has been given the chance to look for a fresh deal elsewhere. Ray is a good one really, high wages so chance to free up and freshen the squad if he goes, if he stays a good quality experienced CB in the ranks

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
According to his Instagram, ray is on holiday in the USA. Whether he'll play for us again, who knows?

ryancooper327

Anyone know who this is behind Cox? Am I being stupid?!

1656097147423.png