• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Praise for Paul Jones....

newburygrecian

Maybe but you're not really going to sit there and tell me that the arrival of Marriott at the club hasn't benefited Paul Jones. If nothing else, he's taught him to command his box vocally. Last season Jones was as quiet as a church mouse. This year I've heard Jones calling for the ball over the commentary and crowd noise on the radio. I'll put money on that he has learnt a whole lot more from Marriott.
Perhaps the combined inputs of Marriott and Gwynnett have benefited Jonesy to the extent that he is actually the best 'keeper at the club now and deserves to be starting.

Mogga

But how can we really say that either keeper is definitely the better keeper? Jones always makes an immediate impact after not starting games. His first touch for us was to save a penalty at Dagenham and the Wembley performance came off the back of a lay-off. I'm not saying that he hasn't improved, but I don't understand how people on here can declare for sure that Jones has been making huge progress... after 3/4 starts is it? Reserve team football hardly recreates the atmosphere of first team games. Give him another 3 or 4 and then we can begin making judgments.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
But how can we really say that either keeper is definitely the better keeper? Jones always makes an immediate impact after not starting games. His first touch for us was to save a penalty at Dagenham and the Wembley performance came off the back of a lay-off. I'm not saying that he hasn't improved, but I don't understand how people on here can declare for sure that Jones has been making huge progress... after 3/4 starts is it? Reserve team football hardly recreates the atmosphere of first team games. Give him another 3 or 4 and then we can begin making judgments.
I'm with Mogga, Jonesy has all the potential there for us to see but he is the most nervous keeper I have ever seen at any level - it is that which could hold him back. I'm sure that Mel Gwynett and Andy Marriott are offering more than enough help to Jonesy that this will be a thing of the past soon enough. As a keeper he is more than capable of kicking a ball straight, 50 yards down the pitch from a backpass, the fact that he struggles is more a reflection that he doesnt have enough self-belief in this area.

If he can gain that confidence the he could be a very good keeper at this level and in the league as well. Jonesy has to start the next two cup games though IMO as, like Mogga, I feel we need a few games to see whether he has actually mastered his own mind or not. It is probably his last chance to impress and so its up to the fans to get behind him and help him along

Ian Tarr

I just hope that when Jonesy makes an error -- and he is bound to sooner or later -- we don't get the usual stereotypical numpty shock horror response.

If you watch highlights of matches at higher levels you will see all manner of goalkeeping c*ck-ups. Since we are operating below such exalted levels, let us hope that there will be some patience exercised, and that we can add to his confidence rather than chipping away at it.

Give him a run, and we will have an excellent keeper on our hands. All we need to do is get behind him.

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great thread. As Gurhka quite rightly says, don;t underestimate the role of Mel Gwinnett in all of this, as well as Andy Marriott.

When Andy is in Goal, Mel talks Jonah through aspects of his game, that he could learn from.

I have a lot of time for Mel. Remember, he was the one who got abused by some City fans over what the management team were trying to teach Jamie after that bad result at Kiddy.

I would have put money on Jonah starting yesterday. Before the Ebbsfleet game, Tis made it abundantly clear it was for one game only, but after the Bury game, he made no such noises when asked... and AM was in the ressies last week.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
In my mind the Jones, Seacombe, Matt Taylor axis is a major part of our future.

Yes Jones has learnt a lot from Marriot but now he's ready to take the reins for himself.

Go for it Paul, we're all behind you!

newburygrecian

Yes Jones has learnt a lot from Marriot but now he's ready to take the reins for himself.

Behind him, yes. Perfectly placed to jump on his back ;)

Also, do you mean Seaborne, Sercombe, or both. A hybrid of the two of them would certainly be a hell of a player.

The mighty Grecian

What about Jamie Mackie??

are you resigned to him leaving for a bigger club..........

Last edited:

The mighty Grecian

Behind him, yes. Perfectly placed to jump on his back ;)

Also, do you mean Seaborne, Sercombe, or both. A hybrid of the two of them would certainly be a hell of a player.
What position would the "hybrid" be playing though???? a holding midfielder :D

If there is truth in the rumour that Jonah had been looking to leave, that would be a big disappointment. Jones is the future, and Marriott certainly isn't that. Can't help wondering if, by now picking him, Tiz is doing what he has to, in order to keep Jonah interested. However, over the last few years, Jonah has demonstrated a woeful lack of presence, and no command of his back-four. If he has developed in that regard during this period out of the spotlight, everyone involved in that process should be congratulated. In some respects, he looks as good a keeper as we are ever likely to see at this level ...