• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth vs Exeter Match Day - 21 Jan 2023 - Thread

Red red

Well back home and had time to think about the game. Turning point really was Jev Browns miss if we had gone 1up game might of been different. Understand why GC went for a young mobile midfield. I definitely do not like a Key at left wing back. Game was Much better than last Saturday. Great support today. Now on to Barnsley

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I appear to be disproportionately disappointed by this result. I really thought we would win.

sign of the chimes

I thought today was decided by a couple of saves from our loanee keeper and that missed chance in the second half when Brown went through and you appeared, from my vantage point, to have a four-on-one.

We were all over the shop in the first half - in keeping with our recent performances and, had you got your noses in front I suspect we wouldn't have found a way back. I spent a fair bit of the first half watching Nombe, his movement is really impressive off the ball - he looks a cut above L1. I also thought Joe White looked a real talent - it will be interesting to watch his development.

Re. Blackman's mistake for the second goal - we were sat behind him second half and he looked like he'd picked up a leg injury not that long before - a couple of us spotted him and thought he would have to come off. I wonder whether he was distracted by that - or still suffering discomfort when he let Morrell's 'effort' slip past.

Excellent travelling support from the 1,600-odd Grecians. I just wanted to say thanks to those who joined in with minutes applause before the game for Anton Walkes, and those during in memory of Ace and Steve. I made out a 'One Football Family' banner in with your support which I thought was a really classy gesture from those responsible, representing a really classy football club.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Blackman showing again why he was a free transfer. We really need to bring in someone who can challenge for the no1 shirt
You are Avondale Pate and I claim my $5

Grecian Max

Think it's harsh after his upturn in form to blame Blackman too heavily for the mistake, he doesn't do many of those at all. I was more annoyed that it was a carbon copy of an attack about a minute before where the same player blazed over the bar.

Game felt familiar, relative dominance in the first half... but can't put the ball in the back of the net as much as we should. Second half it all fell apart a bit. Definitely a game of 2 halves, had we scored first I think we would have won comfortably.

Oh well. White looked class and was my MOTM.

Rosencrantz

I thought today was decided by a couple of saves from our loanee keeper and that missed chance in the second half when Brown went through and you appeared, from my vantage point, to have a four-on-one.

We were all over the shop in the first half - in keeping with our recent performances and, had you got your noses in front I suspect we wouldn't have found a way back. I spent a fair bit of the first half watching Nombe, his movement is really impressive off the ball - he looks a cut above L1. I also thought Joe White looked a real talent - it will be interesting to watch his development.

Re. Blackman's mistake for the second goal - we were sat behind him second half and he looked like he'd picked up a leg injury not that long before - a couple of us spotted him and thought he would have to come off. I wonder whether he was distracted by that - or still suffering discomfort when he let Morrell's 'effort' slip past.

Excellent travelling support from the 1,600-odd Grecians. I just wanted to say thanks to those who joined in with minutes applause before the game for Anton Walkes, and those during in memory of Ace and Steve. I made out a 'One Football Family' banner in with your support which I thought was a really classy gesture from those responsible, representing a really classy football club.

All the best for the rest of the season.
Jamal looked like he injured himself trying to save the first goal. Harry Lee was certainly sent out to warm up and spent most of the rest of the game warming up. When it went to 2-0 I thought it would be sensible to bring Jamal off in case he aggravated it any more although it might have been seen by some as a reaction to his mistake.

Bat Fastard

Thought we were the better side for most of the game and created the better chances across the piece. That’s no to say Portsmouth didn’t have plenty themselves. White and hartridge were our best players I thought, and nombe played well as well. The difference in performance between the halves was fairly stark - seemed to be losing all the 50 50 challenges in the second half. Disappointing couple of games, I think we could and perhaps should have won both. Big performance needed on Tuesday, let’s hope we don’t lose anyone before then. What’s the consensus of Collins not starting by the way, do we reckon he’s gone or just giving him a rest?

Red Devon

My take from the away end we had enough chances to at least get something from the game…Jevani’s blown opportunity being particularly ghastly….agree with Caldwell about the players commitment and work rate being very good but Kegs is some way off being able to cut it at League One level, Caprice can run up and down the right wing all day long but can he deliver much quality into the box then no!…I am also struggling to see what Josh Key if offering playing down the left hand side of the pitch, again nothing of note coming from him there.…would probably give Sam MoM for his non stop trying.

tom_ecfc

grecIAN Harris

Blackman showing again why he was a free transfer. We really need to bring in someone who can challenge for the no1 shirt
Behave yourself. The bloke was struggling with an injury (hip from what I could tell by his movement) and whilst Jamal has said himself he should have dealt with it, it didn't help him. You make no mention of the decent saves he made earlier in the second half.