• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Poor parking

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why do some people find it so difficult to park in between the white lines on a parking bay? I go to 3 or 4 different shops when I do the fortnightly grocery shop and I can guarantee that I'll see several cars who are parked on an angle. Or on occasions, have seen some cars parked over 2 spaces smack bang in the middle.

Sometimes there's a knock on effect from one person parking on the p155 then causes the person who tries to park next to them difficulty. But is it really that difficult to get your car parked in between the lines or is it just laziness.

Maybe it should be on the fecking dire thread but thought it deserves a thread of it's own.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know what you mean Shab. When we make our annual pilgrimage to the homeland, we generally hire a small compact car, which is all we need. Its then that I realise that the allocated spaces in parking lots over there are a farce. That one connected to the Guildhall Center is bad, as is the King William Street thing. The spaces are really well marked out but theres only about a foot of space on either side to get out of the car once you've parked; without whacking the adjacent parked vehicles! My wife generally does the driving, and almost always goes to the open roof level of the Guildhall one, where not so many people park. Bit of a joke though; Ben Bradshaw needs to be made aware of it.

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Yep most motorists today only know where their accelerators are, not a clue about any other aspect of 'driving', the roads are full of muppets, more 'unmarked' speed camera's I say!! How many signs stating 30 mph do these muppets need?

Banksy

We've moved up here to Kent and it seems even worse than Exeter if that's possible. And I've picked up more parking scars on the car doors and wheel arches in parking bays round Ashford in one year than I picked up down in Exeter in ten years. Gets on my wick, clowns. Trouble is , being relatively near London everyone seems to do things at a rate of knots , cars jumping lights etc too is a regular occurrence. Quite a bit to get used to for an old country boy! Quiet as a mouse in the village we now live in but unfortunately we have to visit Ashford to shop!

LOG

But is it really that difficult to get your car parked in between the lines or is it just laziness.
I should imagine that a large part of it is that so many people don't seem to give two sh*ts about the next person to come along. I'm alright, Jack.

Whenever i go to a supermarket car park, i always park right out of the way, almost as far away from the door as possible. That usually solves the problem and saves having to get involved with the people who feel that they have to park as close as possible to the shop entrance.

elginCity

Quiet as a mouse in the village we now live in but unfortunately we have to visit Ashford to shop!
Would that be the Downs side of Ashford, Banksy? Nice part of the world to live in if so.

Some bays are ridiculously tight. Upon opening the car door yesterday, gently nudged the wing mirror of the car parked next door and then heard all manner of expletives coming from within. The old boy was still sitting inside, shaking his fist and growling!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Some bays are ridiculously tight. Upon opening the car door yesterday, gently nudged the wing mirror of the car parked next door and then heard all manner of expletives coming from within. The old boy was still sitting inside, shaking his fist and growling!
In the car park I tend to use, the pillars are beside the drivers door!

wemissmoxey

Whenever i go to a supermarket car park, i always park right out of the way, almost as far away from the door as possible. That usually solves the problem and saves having to get involved with the people who feel that they have to park as close as possible to the shop entrance.
I'm with you here Loggy, I carry out the same kind of operation however I don't just limit it to Supermarkets, I don't mind parking and walking a short distance wherever I am.

Last edited:

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
I tend to do the same thing, but it doesn't stop idiots being unable to park straight.

LOG

In the car park I tend to use, the pillars are beside the drivers door!
That sounds like the NCP up the road from our office, anything bigger than a Fiesta and you have to get out through the sunroof or boot. And it's £19 a day for the pleasure.