• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is that your medical opinion?

I know someone with MS, her and her husband get agro from people Telling her she's not really sick and swings the led etc. despite her having a serious illness, diagnosed and getting treatment for. For me it is nothing but abuse which they shouldn't have to face

You won't find anyone who disagrees with the idea of people who can work should work, but our benefits system is robust and significantly less generous than a lot of than a number of comparable countries.
The system isn’t as robust as you would think, especially with those who cite mental health issues, and that’s where the system’s weakness lies IMO.
I could get PIP within a few short months simply by getting myself a history of anti-depressants via my GP and telling the assessor I was suffering with the required combination of issues at home.
Good luck with your daughter BTW. 👍

arthur

The system isn’t as robust as you would think, especially with those who cite mental health issues, and that’s where the system’s weakness lies IMO.
I could get PIP within a few short months simply by getting myself a history of anti-depressants via my GP and telling the assessor I was suffering with the required combination of issues at home.
Good luck with your daughter BTW. 👍
You seem to have a lot of first hand knowledge about a lot of issues such as the abuse of the benefits system and the validity of asylum claims.

Both systems are far from perfect, but I suggest that it is largely because they are are under-resourced to the extent processes are not robust and that rules aren't enforced. This will result in some claimants getting more than they are entitled to and, equally importantly, some getting less

arthur

It's too easy to put the working poor against the non working poor.
Exactly. Especially when a political party and a TV "News" channel, both owned by multi millionaires, encourage this sort of behaviour. I wonder what their motive might be....

tavyred

You seem to have a lot of first hand knowledge about a lot of issues such as the abuse of the benefits system and the validity of asylum claims.

Both systems are far from perfect, but I suggest that it is largely because they are are under-resourced to the extent processes are not robust and that rules aren't enforced. This will result in some claimants getting more than they are entitled to and, equally importantly, some getting less
As I see it both systems are worryingly susceptible to abuse by the unscrupulous claimant.

tavyred

Interesting to read the other day that as an immigration sceptic, the NHS surcharge payable by immigrants as part of their work visas will by 2028 be worth £7BN to the exchequer. 👍
That said, have we not discovered another Brexit benefit, as with the old stylee EU freedom of movement, all those millions of Europeans would’ve got their healthcare for free? 😎

arthur

As I see it both systems are worryingly susceptible to abuse by the unscrupulous claimant.
then the systems aren't working very well are they?

Mid Devon Grecian

Interesting to read the other day that as an immigration sceptic, the NHS surcharge payable by immigrants as part of their work visas will by 2028 be worth £7BN to the exchequer. 👍
That said, have we not discovered another Brexit benefit, as with the old stylee EU freedom of movement, all those millions of Europeans would’ve got their healthcare for free? 😎
But surely we don’t need immigrants Tavy? Wasn’t that the mantra I.e. Farridge standing in front of the poster?

Ironically a lot of those Europeans exercising their freedom of movement rights worked in our NHS. Wonder why we’re now so short staffed and waiting lists are at record highs?

elginCity

Those ‘millions of Europeans’ were net contributors to the UK coffers, that’s a fact. Generally fitter, younger and much healthier than the economically unproductive ‘hundreds of thousands of Brits’ washed up on the Costas back then.

Alistair20000

Please could you do this for me. Imagine I am a 30 year old single man living in a room in a shared house for which I pay £600 pcm which covers council tax and utility bills. There is plenty of work in the area, but I'd rather live on benefits. Could you let me know
a) how much benefit I will receive
b) what sort of conversations will the Job Centre have with me when I go to sign on

Thank you
Don’t be lazy art. Put it in the calculator yourself. You will need the postcode.

Alistair20000

Which comes back round to my original point. If we reduce corporation tax to encourage an influx of multinationals and create loads of jobs in an economy where recruitment is already very challenging, how are those jobs going to be filled?

The answer is obvious, but one you're opposed to.
What do you think I am opposed to ?