• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have they never seen Francis Urquahart in the House Of Cards?
Threatening MPs is one thing, threatening constituents ( with the loss of school, health centre, relief road etc.) is quite another. Still, the Leave government prides itself on breaking rules, laws and conventions so what's the problem?

arthur

Grant Shapps is my hero

Sorted!

DB9

I don’t think there’s a lot you can do with postal votes Jinxy, they only get given out if you’re on the electoral register anyway. We can argue about how in some cultures Women tend to not have a lot of personal input as to how they might want to vote, but what can you do in that regard without scrapping them all together.
Apart from the ‘eccentric’ David Davis, the bill does seem to be winding up a lot of Labour MP’s for some reason.
I fully expect the Lords to hold up its progress unfortunately.
In the fullness of time I hope we go the whole hog and adopt ID cards across the board, IMO there’s too many people living on the fringes of society and I’m not sure they’re all playing the game properly as regards benefits and the world of work.
I've no problem with voter ID, I would though have serious doubts if electronic machines were given an outing, A pencil and ballot paper maybe old fashion but it works.

arthur

I've no problem with voter ID, I would though have serious doubts if electronic machines were given an outing, A pencil and ballot paper maybe old fashion but it works.
Why is it necessary? Is there widespread fraud? Why, under the proposed legislation, will Old People's bus passes be accepted, but student cards not?

Why do people like Sajid Javed and other more libertarian elements of the Conservative Party, who go on about "I don't want to have to carry papers to go about my normal day to day business" (when talking about Covid passes) feel it is necessary to carry papers to vote?

The whole thing is a desperately cynical ploy to reduce turnout among groups less likely to vote Conservative. It is straight out of the US Republican playbook. People like Tavy who say "the bill does seem to be winding up a lot of Labour MP’s for some reason" know this full well and are being utterly disingenuous. One can only hope that the House of Lords will do its bit...

DB9

Why is it necessary? Is there widespread fraud? Why, under the proposed legislation, will Old People's bus passes be accepted, but student cards not?

Why do people like Sajid Javed and other more libertarian elements of the Conservative Party, who go on about "I don't want to have to carry papers to go about my normal day to day business" (when talking about Covid passes) feel it is necessary to carry papers to vote?

The whole thing is a desperately cynical ploy to reduce turnout among groups less likely to vote Conservative. It is straight out of the US Republican playbook. People like Tavy who say "the bill does seem to be winding up a lot of Labour MP’s for some reason" know this full well and are being utterly disingenuous. One can only hope that the House of Lords will do its bit...
No, I think since we're in the 21st Century a voter ID card is acceptable, I don't think it should wind up people and any official card should be acceptable, like a driving licence, Bus pass, Student card, Any really with a photo.

Alistair20000

Love the shot stubby unsharpened pencil me.

Reactions: DB9

arthur

No, I think since we're in the 21st Century a voter ID card is acceptable, I don't think it should wind up people and any official card should be acceptable, like a driving licence, Bus pass, Student card, Any really with a photo.
Supposing you don't have any of those?

DB9

If you don't have any of those three then you should be able to use any with a photo (Not homemade) or just apply to your local council/electoral office if it does become law.

tavyred

They give you a free one. It does involve a bit of effort though.

arthur

just apply to your local council/electoral office if it does become law.
...just do that then. Fine. I am a young single mother living at the top of a tower block facing a variety of challenges, not least wondering whether I can afford to keep the children warm. I suppose I can always "just" pop into the council offices on my way to the foodbank