• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thoroughly depressing things in the real world

The government has meanwhile spent £25b of taxpayers money on Help to buy which has multiplied the profits of house builders & helped 75% of those who have used the scheme to buy a bigger house(many on incomes of 100k plus)

The disfunction of the UK in housing summed up.
Housing in this country is a disgrace, For nearly 40 years we have simply sold off Social/Council housing and not replaced them, Building houses that a lot can't afford, People living in carp private rented accommodation and successive Governments choose to ignore this. There are millions in low paid jobs who will never be able to afford to buy a home and are on lists for years to get a house, People in Social housing that is now unsuitable for them but there aren't anything else available for them, I wish that someone would be brave enough to do something, Owning a home is a great goal and something to strive for but for those who can't afford one shouldn't be left behind

IndoMike

We get too involved in the party political games. Selection committees, who's gonna be MP for Teddington or Wigan...The party political process has become more important than the end result. The end result I'm talking about is better opportunities, better education, a huge effort to improve the deprived areas, better nhs, less crime.
In my opinion the political system we have has failed. Maybe at least we should try proportional representation, but I doubt if that would make much difference. In the end they're all politicians. Those that can, do. Those that can't become politicians.

arthur

So you would prefer a hardline Marxist to a soppy Marxist?
I would prefer a competent leader of the opposition to an incompetent one..

IndoMike

I would prefer a competent leader of the opposition to an incompetent one..
I would prefer Groucho Marx as leader

Groucho :
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

Grecian2K

I would prefer Groucho Marx as leader

Groucho :
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Surely that's the Gospel according to Johnson?

IndoMike

Surely that's the Gospel according to Johnson?
Precisely, but many other politicians, too.

IndoMike

Another Groucho mark quote:
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"

IndoMike

The Independent : A view from Ireland:

"Boris Johnson and a great deal of British politicians would do well to learn more about their neighbours. When it comes to recent referendums, Irish society has shown itself to be very much of one mind on a lot of issues. Irish politicians understand what their constituents want and a hard border on the island of Ireland is not one of them. The Irish population overwhelmingly love the European Union and, while divided about plenty of issues, in that regard, they are not for turning".

IndoMike

Thoroughly depressing things in the real world

The government has meanwhile spent £25b of taxpayers money on Help to buy which has multiplied the profits of house builders & helped 75% of those who have used the scheme to buy a bigger house(many on incomes of 100k plus)

The disfunction of the UK in housing summed up.
21st Century Britain summed up. Contrast that with the spoilt, privileged brat Rees-Smug sprawled out on the benches of Parliament with his undeserved air of superiority.Does he give a sh×t about any of this?
Tell me Leavers, do you think BREXIT will change this disgraceful state of affairs? Do you think the Tories give a damn?

Last edited:

tavyred

The Government making it a requirement to show photo ID in order to vote in future elections. For some inexplicable reason Labour going ballistic and calling it voter suppression. :)