• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
A somewhat miserablist take on where we are at the moment art. A view that seems to run contrary to the latest business sentiment and economic data it has to be said. We’ve been over the mechanics of how we got here dozens of times and we’ll never agree I suspect. You obviously have the right to react to our new situation however you like, but most people I know are anxious just to move on and in the main, they are remarkably positive about their own and the U.K. prospects going forward.

arthur

A somewhat miserablist take on where we are at the moment art.
That's because I'm miserable Tavy. It's not just the outcome, it's the way it was arrived at - not by a convincing argument that persuaded people this was the right thing to do, but by a botched, fudged and undemocratic process that stumbled to an exhausted conclusion. As Withnail would put it, "We've left the EU by mistake".....
But we've left and there's nothing I can do to change that. But as far as I'm concerned the forces of reaction and unreason have triumphed so don't expect me to be happy about it!

tavyred

That's because I'm miserable Tavy. It's not just the outcome, it's the way it was arrived at - not by a convincing argument that persuaded people this was the right thing to do, but by a botched, fudged and undemocratic process that stumbled to an exhausted conclusion. As Withnail would put it, "We've left the EU by mistake".....
But we've left and there's nothing I can do to change that. But as far as I'm concerned the forces of reaction and unreason have triumphed so don't expect me to be happy about it!
You obviously have the right to view Brexit as a disaster and ergo let that affect your mood. I don’t want to sound patronising, but I think a more mature attitude toward the democratic process that got us here, may help you in your quest for inner peace. You are never going to be happy if you view this as a lot of other people who weren’t as clever as me, getting it wrong.
This country voted (more than once) for a fundamental change of direction. Those interested in democracy need to accept the result and move on.

arthur

You obviously have the right to view Brexit as a disaster and ergo let that affect your mood. I don’t want to sound patronising, but I think a more mature attitude toward the democratic process that got us here, may help you in your quest for inner peace. You are never going to be happy if you view this as a lot of other people who weren’t as clever as me, getting it wrong.
This country voted (more than once) for a fundamental change of direction. Those interested in democracy need to accept the result and move on.
We have had enough arguments about what constitutes proper democracy without going over all that again. I would ask you to accept that we differ, as you yourself have said, rather than accuse me of immaturity

Alistair20000

Afternoon art

For better or for worse I shall be raising a glass* at midnight on 31 January. Not in triumph, no gloatage but in the hope that all goes well for the country and our people after Brexit. The British people usually get these big decisions right, even if for apparently idiosyncratic reasons.

* It will very likely be some French champagne in le verre. ;)

Grecian2K

Shouldn't that be 11pm Al? I mean, I know that it's almost a trope that you mid-Devon types tend to be a little behind the time, but really......

Alistair20000

Shouldn't that be 11pm Al? I mean, I know that it's almost a trope that you mid-Devon types tend to be a little behind the time, but really......
Not sure on the exact time G2K. No doubt the telly will guide us as to the right time to raise the glass.

Grecian2K

Or turn the lights off?
Ps: & FYI I'm pretty sure that it is 11pm (or 23:00 in " new money")
Indeed, I've read that Dominic, Nige and Arron have already booked an exclusive light show in the (eternally closed off & protected) Downing Street to celebrate.
While that Brexit "tribute band" ERG are booked to follow up in front of the Elizabeth Tower" with a celebratory remix of the Mike Oldfield classic Tubular Bongs played through an iPhone via a set of Bluetooth portable speakers.

Last edited:

tavyred

No sign of the Remoaner hissy fit letting up, poor old Hezza complains of having his nose rubbed in it by gloating Leave voters, tales of Remainers switching their lights off on the 31st in order to signify.....I don’t know what tbh and perhaps the most pathetic of all, a refusal to take the possession of the commemorative 50p piece struck to signify our new direction.
The 31st is going to be great fun! :LOL:🍺

Alistair20000

No sign of the Remoaner hissy fit letting up, poor old Hezza complains of having his nose rubbed in it by gloating Leave voters, tales of Remainers switching their lights off on the 31st in order to signify.....I don’t know what tbh and perhaps the most pathetic of all, a refusal to take the possession of the commemorative 50p piece struck to signify our new direction.
The 31st is going to be great fun! :LOL:🍺
I will happily accept all their 50p coins.