• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do I espy Exewebber "Saint James" standing for election to Exeter City Council ? :unsure:
Very appropriately in the Newtown and St Leonards seat ! (y)

Alistair20000

I always enjoy the ruminations or Professor Bogdanor on the type of issues discussed in recent posts above.

arthur

Could a possible scenario be, the PM is informed that a first wave of missiles is headed our way and will cause considerable damage and loss of civilian life, the PM is told that we must respond in kind so as to affect any further waves of attacks that will add to the damage and loss of life.
Why would you then not press the red button?
But this will never happen as we have a nuclear deterrent, I'm told by you and Alistair :)

arthur

Do I espy Exewebber "Saint James" standing for election to Exeter City Council ? :unsure:
I've heard the City Council is a bit of a mess. Hope St James can sort it out

Mr Jinx

Would you accept that some of the invitees hold and express views on race / religion / immigration etc that have generally been beyond the pale for mainstream politicians since the 1970s?
No I would not.

What views do Farage/Braverman/Truss hold that is "beyond the pale" in your opinion?

Colesman Ballz

Edit that should be the Duryard and St James seat, hence the appropriateness !

tavyred

But this will never happen as we have a nuclear deterrent, I'm told by you and Alistair :)
You asked for a scenario, I obliged.

Alistair20000

You fail to report my views accurately art.

If nuclear weapons of mass destruction are launched the deterrent will have failed but that is not to say it should be abandoned unilaterally.

Phil Sayers

No I would not.

What views do Farage/Braverman/Truss hold that is "beyond the pale" in your opinion?
Willingness to share a platform with **** Orban and French far-right commentators for one. Granted the former is a foreign leader but in days gone by a member of government / prominent member of the governing party would have refused to attend an event that the latter were attending.

Phil Sayers

I'm not sure anti immigration stance has ever not been an issue for the now over 50s. The difference now is we have many millions of non white Brits under 50. What they and everyone sees is the desecration of the UK. Whilst we remain having probably the cheapest food in Europe, we also have the highest rents, travelling in anything other than a car? Fugeddaboudit. Want something for the community, wait in line for the next ten years. I'm not sure how we're so skint, but the easy answer is to blame the new people arriving.

The alt-right which take the middle ground between far right and centre right can make massive gains. Course the likes of Tice won't manage it as he's only marginally more charismatic than Starmer. But in future it'll almost certainly happen.

Arguably, when Griffin went on QT all those years ago if he'd have been more personable and didn't flounder horrifically it would have happened sooner.

Just my ramblings on this matter.
All makes sense to me but again I come back to the 1970s comparison - at the time the economy was dire, the country in deep decline and the future looking very bleak. The politicians of the day could have gone with the 'blame immigrants' approach but they strived, and succeeded, to not succumb to that temptation. In contrast now the new generation of 'populist' right-wing politicians do not have that moral compass - instead they dive into the cesspit of public opinion to claw out every last vote they can grab.