• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh Dear.

Alistair20000

Oh Dear.

Indeed

DB9

Considering Stormont has just started working again, This does not look good for the DUP and Donaldson in particular.

Mr Jinx

Maybe you don’t like the fact Ange has said she’s more than happy to hand over the advice she received to HMRC and the police. Nothing to hide. If she was given incorrect advice prusemably by a tax accountant then it’ll be their problem.

Conflating this minor non issue with serial law breaking during Covid is the most hilarious thing.
I think you read me wrong.

I couldn't give much of a tinker's cuss about Ange's flat. It's not me that's working myself up over it.

Like I don't about much of MP's minor wrongdoings on both sides.

The only reason I got worked up about Labour's beergate, was that it wasn't much different to cakegate.

Mid Devon Grecian

I think you read me wrong.

I couldn't give much of a tinker's cuss about Ange's flat. It's not me that's working myself up over it.

Like I don't about much of MP's minor wrongdoings on both sides.

The only reason I got worked up about Labour's beergate, was that it wasn't much different to cakegate.
I’d agree if Cakegate was the only transgression found however it was a whole cultural thing in No10 and even the most loyal Johnson supporter could see that. Maybe Cakegate was the easiest to prove and pin something on the guy who led the operation and lived in the building.

Mid Devon Grecian

You boys do know what the word ‘alleged’ means right?
Yeah it means a mealy mouthed junior Tory MP gets all excited about something they heard/read and then gets the police to waste a shed load of time on the ‘alleged’ wrongdoing 😂

tavyred

Yeah it means a mealy mouthed junior Tory MP gets all excited about something they heard/read and then gets the police to waste a shed load of time on the ‘alleged’ wrongdoing 😂
Can I introduce you to the Police and Crime Commissioner for London, who put untold political pressure on the Met to investigate and reinvestigate the ‘partygate’ scandal.🤣

Mid Devon Grecian

As regards your last sentence you are not necessarily correct. Have a read of some tax tribunal cases on how far and in what circumstances the taxpayer is excused from blame. Relying on advice is not a get out of jail free card. We are all presumed to know the law.

If the Red Queen is as pure as the driven snow on this one she should publish the tax advice. Until she does folk will keep probing
I find that surprising. Whats the point in paying for professional advice if you’re supposed to know the law as well as the professional does?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I find that surprising. Whats the point in paying for professional advice if you’re supposed to know the law as well as the professional does?
Because it could serve as a very handy 'paid for' mitigation for some very serious wrongdoing.

Mid Devon Grecian

Because it could serve as a very handy 'paid for' mitigation for some very serious wrongdoing.
But if a regulated professional puts it in writing and it’s obviously dodgy surely the finger is pointed at the erroneous/dodgy advice rather than the client who asked for the advice.