• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
That spelling of lacklustre is irritating.
CNN is an American outlet hence the spelling (and my comment about it being "from afar"). 😜

Alistair20000

CNN is an American outlet hence the spelling (and my comment about it being "from afar"). 😜
CNN should keep its nose out of our politics :)

Or if it must meddle, use proper speiling

Alistair20000

So looks like both Braverman and Mordaunt are smelling blood in the water and are positioning themselves for a fresh leadership challenge.
Maybe the serially disloyal snake in the grass too.

Had to smile yesterday when a cameraman caught him on film having a crafty fag. This from the jogging health fanatic.

I am just off to the punching thread.

arthur

Apologies to Alistair for another Guardian link, but they are free to read, unlike Times, Telegraph, Indy, Spectator and New Statesman.

Kettle makes the point that Truss campaigned as the Continuity Johnson candidate, contrasting herself (implicitly) with the backstabbing Sunak. Now it turns out that she is anything but, having junked most of his policies much to Nadine's dismay.

The party now faces an awful dilemma - carry on with Truss to almost certain wipe out, or change leader and become a laughing stock. There is an interesting compromise floated in the Spectator - the Parliamentary Party to agree on a unity candidate to see them through to the next election; someone like Javid or Malthouse (similar to Howard after the Duncan Smith debacle). The thinking is that they would still lose, but wouldn't be wiped out and there'd still be a Tory Party to rebuild.

This theory makes some sort of sense but it does depend on a) the Parliamentary party agreeing on someone and behaving itself until the election and b) that someone agreeing to take on the task

Mr Jinx

So looks like both Braverman and Mordaunt are smelling blood in the water and are positioning themselves for a fresh leadership challenge.
I'm not saying they're not, but what makes people think that they are specifically?

Penny is better on presentation, but as for policy, I'm not so sure. Braverman is probably the other way around, and then some - a bit like Truss on steroids. One thing's for sure - Suella definitely wouldn't be for turning.

Mr Jinx

Maybe the serially disloyal snake in the grass too.

Had to smile yesterday when a cameraman caught him on film having a crafty fag. This from the jogging health fanatic.

I am just off to the punching thread.
Aye, I've had time for Gove in the past, but now he's just hanging around like a bad smell. Time to get him facked right off methinks.

It'd take a brave PM to remove the whip from him. Bozza circa 2019 would've done it.

DB9

Gove is a weird one, Sort of hanging around in the background waiting for his moment to pounce for the leadership/PM but somehow has never been able to get the top job, Gets a job in Government but really never 100% with the PM of the time but then happy to haunt all the media outlets giving his two penneth worth, Still though seems to hold some gravitas with MP's and the membership.

Mr Jinx

Gove is a weird one, Sort of hanging around in the background waiting for his moment to pounce for the leadership/PM but somehow has never been able to get the top job, Gets a job in Government but really never 100% with the PM of the time but then happy to haunt all the media outlets giving his two penneth worth, Still though seems to hold some gravitas with MP's and the membership.
You could understand it in 2016, but his moment has long since passed. And he said he's stepping down. I'd like to say I was therefore surprised to see he was still up to old tricks, but some people just can't break the habit of a lifetime.

If it weren't for Gove, we might have been spared PM Theresa May and a politically wasted 3 years. Anyway, hey ho.

DB9

You could understand it in 2016, but his moment has long since passed. And he said he's stepping down. I'd like to say I was therefore surprised to see he was still up to old tricks, but some people just can't break the habit of a lifetime.

If it weren't for Gove, we might have been spared PM Theresa May and a politically wasted 3 years. Anyway, hey ho.
Perhaps its because him and his Mrs (Sarah Vine) have recently split and he doesn't know what to do with himself and finding that being an MP still (If he's stepping down he's still got a couple years as an MP) makes hime feel rellivant?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not saying they're not, but what makes people think that they are specifically?

Penny is better on presentation, but as for policy, I'm not so sure. Braverman is probably the other way around, and then some - a bit like Truss on steroids. One thing's for sure - Suella definitely wouldn't be for turning.
They've both essentially run off and said what they would do, things which are at odds with the official government line. Both are designed to appeal to sections of the electorate whilst undermining Truss. Reminds me of Johnson's activities under May.