• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Exactly the same is true of left wing ideology.
Which is why stability often comes from more centre ground even if it is boring?

lamrobhero

Exactly the same is true of left wing ideology.
My language was imprecise - I meant to say:
Modern right wing politics is driven by a self serving ideology and the results will be disastrous.

Rosencrantz

Just one thing I would disagree with here.

All the tax cuts apart from one were pre trailed: NIC & Corporation Tax. The support for energy bills was also pre trailed. The only add on was the 45% tax cut that costs £2.2 billion per annum out of total government tax receipts of over £700 million. Not enough of itself to spook the markets. Maybe the promise of further unfunded tax cuts was the tipping point.
I think the "unfunded" and the lack of an independent OBR report are something that will always spook the markets. Avoidance of scrutiny due to arrogance or afraid of what the OBR would report, we will see.

I watched an interview with Rory Stewart last night who was adamant that this government isn't a conservative one. The lack of fiscal prudence chief amongst the reasons. Ken Clark also stated along the same lines. But then again, the libertarian wing won't care what the dismissed centrists say. But is there anyone left in the party who can drag them back or have the libertarians won the fight for the Tory Party?

arthur

Just one thing I would disagree with here.

All the tax cuts apart from one were pre trailed: NIC & Corporation Tax. The support for energy bills was also pre trailed. The only add on was the 45% tax cut that costs £2.2 billion per annum out of total government tax receipts of over £700 million. Not enough of itself to spook the markets. Maybe the promise of further unfunded tax cuts was the tipping point.
That was the schoolboy error - going on the telly on Sunday boasting about how much more he was going to cut tax by. If he had taken advice from the person he'd sacked at the Treasury rather than the Taxpayers Alliance and Institute of Economic Affairs people he's surrounded himself with, this mistake might never have happened.

Still, it's good to see these "experts" whom the BBC wheels out regularly in the interests of "balance" enjoying their encounter with reality...

arthur

I watched an interview with Rory Stewart last night who was adamant that this government isn't a conservative one. The lack of fiscal prudence chief amongst the reasons. Ken Clark also stated along the same lines. But then again, the libertarian wing won't care what the dismissed centrists say. But is there anyone left in the party who can drag them back or have the libertarians won the fight for the Tory Party?
I very much doubt it. The Conservative Party faces the prospect of going into the next election with a leader who has demonstrably failed as a Prime Minister and who the majority of her own MPs think is not up to the job. This is utterly unprecedented

angelic upstart

I very much doubt it. The Conservative Party faces the prospect of going into the next election with a leader who has demonstrably failed as a Prime Minister and who the majority of her own MPs think is not up to the job. This is utterly unprecedented
It's also very undemocratic to be voted in on a manifesto which was largely about getting Brexit done, levelling up and improving public services. Then ripping it up, for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Alistair20000

That was the schoolboy error - going on the telly on Sunday boasting about how much more he was going to cut tax by. If he had taken advice from the person he'd sacked at the Treasury rather than the Taxpayers Alliance and Institute of Economic Affairs people he's surrounded himself with, this mistake might never have happened.

Still, it's good to see these "experts" whom the BBC wheels out regularly in the interests of "balance" enjoying their encounter with reality...
I am enjoying listening to "left leaning economists" rubbishing tax cuts (and energy support) funded by borrowing who were very happy spouting MMT snake oil during Covid and supporting Magic Grandpa's 2019 spending plans. Shirley they should be supporting this now ?

Equally "right leaning economists" who have in the past stressed the need for fiscal prudence now saying the "dash for growth" is just fine.

Oh for Ken Clark, The Broon or Alastair Darling to be back at No 10.

Rosencrantz

I am enjoying listening to "left leaning economists" rubbishing tax cuts (and energy support) funded by borrowing who were very happy spouting MMT snake oil during Covid and supporting Magic Grandpa's 2019 spending plans. Shirley they should be supporting this now ?

Equally "right leaning economists" who have in the past stressed the need for fiscal prudence now saying the "dash for growth" is just fine.

Oh for Ken Clark, The Broon or Alastair Darling to be back at No 10.
Bring back the boring people who knew what they were doing 👍

Alistair20000

Bring back the boring people who knew what they were doing 👍
I think so, yes.

Alistair20000

I should have added that we have a problem with low growth and productivity and something needs to be done about that. In fairness this is what Truss/Kwarteng say they are aiming to cure but even if the diagnosis is right I don't think the correct medicine has been identified.