• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not convinced they've lost the next election yet. Let's be honest most of us are unqualified to speak about what motivates the potential Conservative voter, as we are highly unlikely to vote for them anyway. Those of us that did last time (Jinx, Tavy, Jason) are (presumably) still on Team Tory. If they are anything to go by then Labour may not have it as easy as they think.

Regarding their survival, of course they will. In even the worst (realistic) scenario they will come out as the second largest party with 200+ MPs. If by some small chance Labour introduce PR things might look a lot different though.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
There was a frenzied debate on this and Huq last night on a certain TV news channel.

Some of the excuses trotted out to defend Huq beggared belief. Akin to it's ok for a black person to use the N word, but no-one else. Double standards galore.

I think the most shocking thing about it all is that Huq is from a fairly privileged background herself having gone to a private school herself. Kwarteng was even at Eton on a scholarship, but that didn't stop the faux class war rant from Huq. It's a window into the Labour psyche of recent years. Again - double standards city.

Mr Jinx

I'm not convinced they've lost the next election yet. Let's be honest most of us are unqualified to speak about what motivates the potential Conservative voter, as we are highly unlikely to vote for them anyway. Those of us that did last time (Jinx, Tavy, Jason) are (presumably) still on Team Tory. If they are anything to go by then Labour may not have it as easy as they think.

Regarding their survival, of course they will. In even the worst (realistic) scenario they will come out as the second largest party with 200+ MPs. If by some small chance Labour introduce PR things might look a lot different though.
I'm not at all convinced either, but it depends on a lot of things. If the CoL crisis isn't mostly sorted out by this time next year, and inflation doesn't at least halve by then, then you'd have to say it's Labour's to lose.

I think a lot of those already whooping with delight at the death of the Tories chances perennially underestimate the power of the right wing press who, at the moment, are spending a lot of their time busy scaremongering - you know, interest rates could hit 22%, a pint of beer could cost £20...I mean it's ridiculous. Xmas come early for the doomscrollers. The calling of a General Election usually focuses their collective minds.

With regards to me, the Tories have my vote again after last Friday's mini budget. Boris had me a bit lost, as you may know.

Grecian2K

But I thought you'd spent the last two years claiming that the right wing Press no longer had any power or influence in today's multimedia world.

No wonder you are so infatuated with Dizzi - neither of you can hold a consistent position when challenged.

With regard to the rate of inflation -well if it wasn't fallen (on a year to year basis) from the present stratospheric heights by next year we is all well and truly fooked!!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think a lot of those already whooping with delight at the death of the Tories chances perennially underestimate the power of the right wing press who, at the moment, are spending a lot of their time busy scaremongering - you know, interest rates could hit 22%, a pint of beer could cost £20...I mean it's ridiculous. Xmas come early for the doomscrollers.
Can you suggest a possible motive for the right-wing press 'scaremongering', as follows, other than that they realise what an absolute shitshow this is?!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

Mr Jinx

But I thought you'd spent the last two years claiming that the right wing Press no longer had any power or influence in today's multimedia world.
Err....I think you've got the wrong person? If you can find a post or two backing that up, I'd be very interested.

Grecian2K

Top research there egg

arthur

The ‘long road’ to recovery for the Conservative and unionist party might very well start when people look at their November pay packets. 😉
Oh ye of great faith. I fear you are in complete denial. This is almost certainly worse than Black Wednesday, politically. It's how people feel about a political party that counts, rather than a few rational calculations about the effect of their policies on individuals' circumstances. The Tories reputation for economic competence is now completely shot, and this morning's performance will have confirmed that the situation is irreparable.

Grecian2K

One thing that even some of the blue tops commented on was the surprising interest and involvement being taken up by "big business" at the Labour conference.

Something not seen in the red corner since the start of Blair's ascendency in the mid 90s.

Add to that the distinctly lukewarm response being shown to Trussignoromics by the Snoreaway and the imminent departure of true Tory James Witherow from "The Thunderer" could it be that (as in 97) even Uncle Roops might be steering his organs away? After all, the one thing he's always been averse to is to be seen backing losers!