• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
By being way too cowardly over the course of the last 15 years. Interest rates now are way behind where they should be, but the BOE can only put them up so high at a time.
High interest rates during over a decade of austerity, Wage stagnation etc would have been a reciepe for disaster for the UK, You always bring up the house prices going up, If interest rates had gone up then that little jolly of yours wouldn't have happened, In fact i think the repossesions like the late 80's/early 90's would have been repeated.

DB9

In 1997 after the Tory rout at the hands of Rev Blair it was suggested by many and not just on the left that the Tory party was dead. Rev Blair rather sagely replied “The Tory party is not dead it’s just sleeping”

The Tory party is remarkably resilient and rather good at winning elections.

I would be cautious in predicting its demise
Whislt what Blair said is true, Johnson imo has turned the Tories into a real toxic mix, While they're still in power they'll tolerate each other but once they lose a GE the knives and blame game will really start

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

I find it really interesting that Jason and Jinx, our only remaining representatives of the right side of the seesaw, have such differing opinions on the candidates and their future election chances. Politics is a funny old game.
That's because although both of us are currently what you'd consider to be right of center, Jason is what I would call a died in the wool Tory. Whereas I, on the other hand, probably fall more in line with Farage.

I must admit, I was unsure on Truss initially, but once Baker & Braverman fell in line early on, I was sold.

DB9

That's because although both of us are currently what you'd consider to be right of center, Jason is what I would call a died in the wool Tory. Whereas I, on the other hand, probably fall more in line with Farage.

I must admit, I was unsure on Truss initially, but once Baker & Braverman fell in line early on, I was sold.
What, washed up and a has been?

Mr Jinx

High interest rates during over a decade of austerity, Wage stagnation etc would have been a reciepe for disaster for the UK, You always bring up the house prices going up, If interest rates had gone up then that little jolly of yours wouldn't have happened, In fact i think the repossesions like the late 80's/early 90's would have been repeated.
Yes, thanks for confirming that they've been cowardly.

Case in point - they predicted that house prices would crash 17% upon a Leave win. They didn't. They then shat their pants when Leave won, and dropped interest rates 1% immediately. Again, they didn't have to. Ever since, at every turn it's been about headwinds, headwinds....there's always been a reason not to raise them. And here we are.

Let me ask you - do you really think keeping interest rates at next to zero for 15 years is a good thing or not?

Mr Jinx

What, washed up and a has been?
Lolz, just like I was hearing in 2017 to 2018, before his 2019 resurgence (from absolutely nowhere).

He's always there, waiting in the wings.

DB9

Yes, thanks for confirming that they've been cowardly.

Case in point - they predicted that house prices would crash 17% upon a Leave win. They didn't. They then shat their pants when Leave won, and dropped interest rates 1% immediately. Again, they didn't have to. Ever since, at every turn it's been about headwinds, headwinds....there's always been a reason not to raise them. And here we are.

Let me ask you - do you really think keeping interest rates at next to zero for 15 years is a good thing or not?
I've confirmed nothing, re-read it, As for keeping the interest rates low, Yep its been ok for me who still have a mortgage.

Mr Jinx

As for keeping the interest rates low, Yep its been ok for me who still have a mortgage.
And there was Art calling me an I'm-alright-jack yesterday. Too funny.

DB9

Lolz, just like I was hearing in 2017 to 2018, before his 2019 resurgence (from absolutely nowhere).

He's always there, waiting in the wings.
What "Resurgence"? He's been no where since 2016, Now on a small news station giving his opinion, You might watch him on GBnews but very few others do. He was (And admits it) a one trick pony, Helped get the UK to leave Europe and as for anything else since what has he done other than help Trump lose the US election by giving speeches over there?

DB9

And there was Art calling me an I'm-alright-jack yesterday. Too funny.
What are you on about now? You asked me a question and i gave you an answer. Millions of others probably are grateful for low interest rates, Hardly "I'm alright Jack"