• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I believe we were 14th in the EU, not 14th in Europe for asylum seekers per capita.
Oh right.
I heard it mentioned on Politics Live this lunchtime, I can’t remember whether the presenter referenced whether it was the EU or Europe.

tonykellowfan

Do we all remember when those photos of a Greek? Policeman was looking down at the body of a four year old who drowned while crossing the Med? It was back in Cameron's day i think and that photo went viral around the world and all these Politicians said how awful it was and how we must all do something, Well just like COP26 and other things, its on the front page for a few days then nothing and its a case of "Rewind and repeat" and that is what's happening now, All these Politicians will say the same things and it will be forgotten until the next time and it will happen, Time and time again.
I don't think that is accurate at all. After that particular death quite a lot was done in fact, mainly the EU giving Turkey a large amount of money to build proper camps in their country and funding refugee camps properly.

DB9

I don't think that is accurate at all. After that particular death quite a lot was done in fact, mainly the EU giving Turkey a large amount of money to build proper camps in their country and funding refugee camps properly.
Those camps were set up before that tragic event involving the drowning of that poor lad, They were set up when the Civil War in Syria started in 2010/11 and the EU gave money when Turkey threatened to let all refugees pass through and become someone elses problem, The Turkish/Syria border is mainly a land one, The refugees were going to Europe via Greece across the Med where the poor lad drowned. TBH it is totally sad that all that has been achieved in the last decade or so is diddly squat.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

This is a hugely complex and tragic issue. I can't helping feeling that the reduction in foreign aid and the UK's willingness to get involved in foreign conflicts
doesn't exactly help.
I would be happy for the UK to take more refugees/asylum seekers/ economic migrants . We have significant labour shortages in this country and industry is crying out for more workers.
Therefore I welcome these extremely brave, motivated and resourceful people into this country with open arms .

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Just heard we rank 14th in Europe for asylum seekers per capita. I don’t see why that should mean we should match countries who have a higher intake. Especially when those countries are only taking more in because they don’t have the ‘advantage’ of being an Island like we are.
But, but, but... 5th largest economy... blather, blather, blather. We were lucky the 'Mericans didn't think we were lucky to be an Island in 1941...

DB9

This is a hugely complex and tragic issue. I can't helping feeling that the reduction in foreign aid and the UK's willingness to get involved in foreign conflicts
doesn't exactly help.
I would be happy for the UK to take more refugees/asylum seekers/ economic migrants . We have significant labour shortages in this country and industry is crying out for more workers.
Therefore I welcome these extremely brave, motivated and resourceful people into this country with open arms .
It is very complex Suzi, A couple of things, while we would welcome those who can do jobs in industries that need people, Who chooses the industries? If you mean Doctors, Nurses, Care Workers for example, What happens to the ones that don't leave? We take some of their Doctors, Nurses etc it leaves those countries in a worse mess and the people suffer even more if there is a "Skills Drain" Another thing is where does this leave our local authorities, These people need to be housed, School places if they have kids with them, Healthcare etc so if the infastructure is not put in place properly we'll end up with those who like to say "These people get houses, jobs, schooling etc and the locals get nothing" Just to wind up people and what the right wing press love to feed off.

Please note I am more than happy to welcome in those fleeing persecution etc but if we do it on the cheap it will end up as it has in the past, Free for all immigration without the infrastructure and our schools are over subscribed, The healthcare system will buckle and local authority housing availability will be even worse than it is now.

angelic upstart

Another thing is where does this leave our local authorities, These people need to be housed, School places if they have kids with them, Healthcare etc so if the infastructure is not put in place properly we'll end up with those who like to say "These people get houses, jobs, schooling etc and the locals get nothing" Just to wind up people and what the right wing press love to feed off.
We've had the best part of 30 years to build sufficient council housing since Mags sold them off. Increase the number of schools, improve infrastructure, build worthwhile new roads. None of this has had to be stopped in any specific way since year dot. Local authorities have been starved of cash for more than a decade and are now genuinely skint.

Whilst immigration has, no doubt, had an effect on the rise in population. The aging population we have, the different way we live our lives to 50 years ago, the additional volume of cars as many households are 2/3 car households now has been overlooked throughout the vast majority of my life.

We've voted for successive Governments who squandered our money on things that will never be used, or will barely affect us. Often whilst lining their buddies' pockets. Nevertheless, the fear for any type of change is rampant throughout the UK, partially due to threats from outsiders be they Poles, muslims or the jobless white guy. This has kept those Governments ticking over nicely, and keeping things as is. As a result, we're so used to it we barely raise an eyebrow to the potholes in our roads, the graffiti on the walls and the anti-social behaviour of the drunks and drunk addicts that blight our town and city centres. There's no police stations open in the provinces, and less police to deal with a larger population. These are the things we see day to day and do nothing about, nor wonder why seemingly no one cares or does anything about it. Instead, we bicker and moan about the PM mumbling nonsense about Peppa Pig, or if Starmer has ever smiled without being told to. Or we blame things that really aren't much to do with the issue, Brexit being one.

Re Asylum seekers, we have control of our borders and it's up to us to control them. Blaming others doesn't resolve the issue. If the government want to stop the asylum process, they simply leave ECHR and then as a nation we can do what we want. Of course, losing some of our own liberties in the process.

tavyred

But, but, but... 5th largest economy... blather, blather, blather. We were lucky the 'Mericans didn't think we were lucky to be an Island in 1941...
Strange post.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

It is very complex Suzi, A couple of things, while we would welcome those who can do jobs in industries that need people, Who chooses the industries? If you mean Doctors, Nurses, Care Workers for example, What happens to the ones that don't leave? We take some of their Doctors, Nurses etc it leaves those countries in a worse mess and the people suffer even more if there is a "Skills Drain" Another thing is where does this leave our local authorities, These people need to be housed, School places if they have kids with them, Healthcare etc so if the infastructure is not put in place properly we'll end up with those who like to say "These people get houses, jobs, schooling etc and the locals get nothing" Just to wind up people and what the right wing press love to feed off.

Please note I am more than happy to welcome in those fleeing persecution etc but if we do it on the cheap it will end up as it has in the past, Free for all immigration without the infrastructure and our schools are over subscribed, The healthcare system will buckle and local authority housing availability will be even worse than it is now.
What about all the money we could save by not getting involved in conflicts in the first place? Afghanistan cost $30 billion & Iraq cost $14.32 billion that would go a long way towards improving infrastructure.

I don't buy the skills drain argument.

I also think these people are hugely motivated, self-reliant and determined to make a better life for themselves and their families.

DB9

We've had the best part of 30 years to build sufficient council housing since Mags sold them off. Increase the number of schools, improve infrastructure, build worthwhile new roads. None of this has had to be stopped in any specific way since year dot. Local authorities have been starved of cash for more than a decade and are now genuinely skint.

Whilst immigration has, no doubt, had an effect on the rise in population. The aging population we have, the different way we live our lives to 50 years ago, the additional volume of cars as many households are 2/3 car households now has been overlooked throughout the vast majority of my life.

We've voted for successive Governments who squandered our money on things that will never be used, or will barely affect us. Often whilst lining their buddies' pockets. Nevertheless, the fear for any type of change is rampant throughout the UK, partially due to threats from outsiders be they Poles, muslims or the jobless white guy. This has kept those Governments ticking over nicely, and keeping things as is. As a result, we're so used to it we barely raise an eyebrow to the potholes in our roads, the graffiti on the walls and the anti-social behaviour of the drunks and drunk addicts that blight our town and city centres. There's no police stations open in the provinces, and less police to deal with a larger population. These are the things we see day to day and do nothing about, nor wonder why seemingly no one cares or does anything about it. Instead, we bicker and moan about the PM mumbling nonsense about Peppa Pig, or if Starmer has ever smiled without being told to. Or we blame things that really aren't much to do with the issue, Brexit being one.

Re Asylum seekers, we have control of our borders and it's up to us to control them. Blaming others doesn't resolve the issue. If the government want to stop the asylum process, they simply leave ECHR and then as a nation we can do what we want. Of course, losing some of our own liberties in the process.
Couple things AU, Housing, There is a huge shortage of affordable and reasonable rentable houses, Example, My daughter here has been on the list for over 4 yrs to get a bigger place, She isn't the only one either, The list here grows every year.. There are about i think between 3-5 million legal immigrants who reside in the UK, That is about 5/7% of the population, They are all housed, schooled and looked after by Doctors etc which in turn we really struggle to do this because there are shortages of everything I've mentioned, Especially after a decade of austerity. We have oversized school classes, Doctors you cant get an apointment for weeks. None of these problems are the fault of the people coming over by boats across the channel but it feeds into those who want to exploit it for their own nasty gains, So this time if the Government do not give local authorities the cash to house, feed and look after these people, The money will come out of an already over stretched budget and in turn others get left behind then people will think and be told by some its because of these "Dammed illegal immigrants"

As I've said, A real complex issue that no one in power seems to know what to do.