• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stonehenge is over £20 pp, it’s shocking that our heritage is used to exploit tourists. Fine to charge a fee to go into the visitor centre, but viewing the henge up close should be free to all, as it always used to be.
I find the view from the A303 as I’m driving by,quite satisfactory 😎

Elgy it’s no different to a admission fee at many Cathedrals in this country...I take your point about the £20 about the close view though..😁

tonykellowfan

Stonehenge is over £20 pp, it’s shocking that our heritage is used to exploit tourists. Fine to charge a fee to go into the visitor centre, but viewing the henge up close should be free to all, as it always used to be.
It's hardly exploiting people. It costs a huge amount of money to look after the site. When I go abroad to world class heritage sites I don't expect to get in for free.

Oldsmobile-88

Anyone been to The Great Wall,is there a fee for that ?
Genuine question.

DB9

Don't forget that unless you live in Clovelly you have to pay to go to the village.

Oldsmobile-88

It's hardly exploiting people. It costs a huge amount of money to look after the site. When I go abroad to world class heritage sites I don't expect to get in for free.
Plus,no one is twisting their arm to pay.Just as good a experience looking from afar.

DB9

I think the big museums, Houses etc should be free to get into, A showcase for "Brand UK" so to speak, Especially Royal Homes, They are supposed to be owned by "The People" and they should be free to get into. Politically though I think anyone saying an entrance fee will be imposed won't be popular.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone been to The Great Wall,is there a fee for that ?
Genuine question.
It's like Hadrian's Wall in that there are sections you can just walk up to, and sections that are better developed, have museums etc. that cost.

tonykellowfan

I think the big museums, Houses etc should be free to get into, A showcase for "Brand UK" so to speak, Especially Royal Homes, They are supposed to be owned by "The People" and they should be free to get into. Politically though I think anyone saying an entrance fee will be imposed won't be popular.
So basically you want UK tax payers to fund foreign tourists and yet when we go abroad we have to pay?

DB9

So basically you want UK tax payers to fund foreign tourists and yet when we go abroad we have to pay?
If by keeping them free and they visit these places they will spend in the UK, Plus also for Brits themselves keeping them free means more children on school trips get to visit, Especially ones who's parents are on low incomes and personally I'd prefer kids to visit places and learn rather than being stuck in front of a screen. As for other countries, They have their rules doesn't mean we have to follow suit.

fred binneys head

Aren’t most places free but with a suggested donation? Maybe that’s the best compromise.

Reactions: DB9