• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Plus 50,000 nurses
Plus 50,000 nurses
He meant to say 50,000 Night Nurses šŸ˜Ž

AF07BA4E-F9FA-41E8-AF20-EB7AF1E7C0D3.jpeg

Mr Jinx

.....and then there was one. šŸ˜¢
Iā€™ll miss you Jinxy! šŸ˜
Fear not! I certainly won't be skulking back to Labour or LibDems again in my lifetime. The way I see it is, if we all accept this tax hike lying down, then they'll just do it again. A promise is a promise. I've already been hit with their senseless IR35 tinkering and now this. And the Tories had the temerity to warn us all of high taxation Labour pre election! The level of taxation is now eye watering. Anyway, there's always Jason H!

I'll again be looking to see what Farage and those of his ilk are up to. Probably not a lot in the next 2 years I'd imagine, but we'll see. If the dinghy inflow carries on as it is, I'm sure he'll be tempted to get off his arse (politically).

Alistair20000

Yep.
Wasnā€™t good for SKS, he was scuppered by one simple question....ā€whatā€™s your plan for social care?ā€. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Yep. Sir Keith must come up with a plan. Not enough to say "the Opposition is here to oppose."

Be brave SKS. Say you will merge NIC with Income Tax which will mean all income is taxed in the same way. Then calibrate the rates of tax so that everyone pays something and everyone contributes fairly to the extra monies raised. Call it "Labour's fair taxes" similar to the "Labour's fair rates" proposal as an alternative to the poll tax.

Ignore the Torygraph when it says taxing dividends and investment income will cut off investment. That is as much poppycock as their constant wail that abolishing CGT and Inheritance Tax would "turbocharge" the economy.

And if you are really brave say you will reform the NHS where the 1948 model delivers below average outcomes compared with comparable countries. Make it clear that this would not mean chucking money at an unreformed structure. Remind yourself that when the Reverend Blair increased NHS spending significantly 20 years ago that it did not deliver better outcomes for patients commensurate with the new money. Tell the Public only Labour can be trusted to reform the NHS and if elected get on and do it.

Oldsmobile-88

Already ā€œNHS chiefsā€ are saying the extra money isnā€™t nearly enough.
You could give the NHS a extra Ā£100bn & it would still not be enough & sadly even with that amount I doubt the general public would notice much difference.

Iā€™m all for funding the NHS for a good service,but some of these eye watering sums must come with meaningful reforms.
Itā€™s too bureaucratic with too many ā€˜lead swingersā€™ Iā€™m afraid.
Speaking as someone whoā€™s family has/had worked in the NHS since the late 1970s.

DB9

You could give the NHS a extra Ā£100bn & it would still not be enough & sadly even with that amount I doubt the general public would notice much difference.

Iā€™m all for funding the NHS for a good service,but some of these eye watering sums must come with meaningful reforms.
Itā€™s too bureaucratic with too many ā€˜lead swingersā€™ Iā€™m afraid.
Speaking as someone whoā€™s family has/had worked in the NHS since the late 1970s.
We've had reform after reform and still the bureaucrats always seem to keep their jobs while the rest of the NHS is cut to threads.

angelic upstart

Ignore the Torygraph when it says taxing dividends and investment income will cut off investment.
On that note, my financial planner buddy suggests that along with the tax rates mentioned above, IR35 tinkering that Mr J mentioned and the corporation tax rise. That he believes the conservatives are "going after businesses in a fairly big way. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this Al.

tavyred

We always seem to get those right wing arguments about how expensive and wasteful the NHS is when we discuss health funding.
Worth reminding people that in comparison to comparable countries we as a % of GDP are one of the lowest spenders on healthcare.
Always like the US comparison where despite the US not covering millions of its citizens and charging for healthcare, their GDP spend on healthcare is roughly twice that of the UK.
Management costs in the NHS make up 1% of itā€™s budget BTW.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fear not! I certainly won't be skulking back to Labour or LibDems again in my lifetime. The way I see it is, if we all accept this tax hike lying down, then they'll just do it again. A promise is a promise. I've already been hit with their senseless IR35 tinkering and now this. And the Tories had the temerity to warn us all of high taxation Labour pre election! The level of taxation is now eye watering. Anyway, there's always Jason H!

I'll again be looking to see what Farage and those of his ilk are up to. Probably not a lot in the next 2 years I'd imagine, but we'll see. If the dinghy inflow carries on as it is, I'm sure he'll be tempted to get off his arse (politically).
Fairly sure he'll only be tempted if there is someone willing to bung him a few million for the trouble.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Most of the Tory core support wouldā€™ve welcomed the Foreign aid promise being broken, to keep the social care promise he had to break the tax rise promise which although it comes with risk, I think politically speaking he would prefer be seen electorally as the PM who began to tackle the SC issue rather than someone who kept taxes the same in the midst of a chronic NHS backlog and no plan for SC.
Interesting to see how the U.K. is being seen as the first developed country to tackle the new post COVID reality of needing to repair public finances and ending the stimulus era.
For me it would be less about the broken tax promise, and more about the manifesto claiming they had a plan for social care that would cost a billion a year. That was clearly nonsense and makes a mockery of all of their "fully costed" plans.

tavyred

For me it would be less about the broken tax promise, and more about the manifesto claiming they had a plan for social care that would cost a billion a year. That was clearly nonsense and makes a mockery of all of their "fully costed" plans.
Cant argue with that point.