• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just a bit of end of term ‘sh*thousery’ from Butler. I don’t suppose it’ll move the dial any.
It is a longstanding tradition in Parliament that nothing is gained by allowing a member to insult another member in debates in the house. It would be like a Tory MP referring to certain individual Labour MP’s as ‘Jew haters’ for example, a insult that has the ring of truth about it, but does nothing to advance the cause of civilised debate.
It does however speak to the paucity of ideas in the parliamentary Labour Party if Butler’s playground antics yesterday are all they’ve got.

It'll be one of those big on social media things, mainly to folk who are sympathetic to her cause. I personally don't understand that sort of thing, but it's almost certainly the future.

Boyo

The rules are in place to prevent every debate turning into a slanging match. Rightly so. She knew she was out of line, but didn't care.

What is more frustrating however is that Johnson (and others) can repeatedly say anything they want at the dispatch box with zero accountability. They lie repeatedly and they don't care.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The rules are in place to prevent every debate turning into a slanging match. Rightly so. She knew she was out of line, but didn't care.

What is more frustrating however is that Johnson (and others) can repeatedly say anything they want at the dispatch box with zero accountability. They lie repeatedly and they don't care.
Yes, it's a funny sort of system where you can tell an instantly provable lie with no consequences, but if you point that out you're ejected from the chamber.

C j phill

A bit of a waste of time, his supporters have demonstrated time and again they don't care about the lies.
My observation is that it's not just his supporters who dont care about the lies, but also the majority of the electorate who decide to vote. I know that Cummings is largely a discredited individual but in my view, his most telling comment in the past couple of months was his observation that the electorate had a terrible choice at the last general election between Johnson and Corbyn, illustrating the broken state of politics in the UK.

C j phill

Yes, it's a funny sort of system where you can tell an instantly provable lie with no consequences, but if you point that out you're ejected from the chamber.
The legislature is not fulfilling its proper role, namely holding the Executive to account simply because most of the MP's from the majority party want to get on the greasy pole of political promotions, rather than doing what their elected for, namely looking after the best interests of their constituents.

Boyo

My observation is that it's not just his supporters who dont care about the lies, but also the majority of the electorate who decide to vote. I know that Cummings is largely a discredited individual but in my view, his most telling comment in the past couple of months was his observation that the electorate had a terrible choice at the last general election between Johnson and Corbyn, illustrating the broken state of politics in the UK.
The choice at the last election was dreadful, but I think most sensible people do care about the lying. The last election was also overshadowed by Brexit, which created a perfect storm for Johnson, whereby traditional Tories plus Brexiteers voted for Johnson giving him 43% of the vote, but 56% of the seats and hence a huge majority.

tavyred

I seem to remember at the fag end of the last parliament a lot of those MP’s currently revelling in calling the PM a liar being rather reluctant to end his time as PM and go to the country in a general election.🤷‍♂️

Boyo

I seem to remember at the fag end of the last parliament a lot of those MP’s currently revelling in calling the PM a liar being rather reluctant to end his time as PM and go to the country in a general election.🤷‍♂️
Those MPs were bright enough to understand that a GE wouldn't get rid of Johnson. They were right. The people still bought his lies and they still disliked Corbyn.

Oldsmobile-88

Those MPs were bright enough to understand that a GE wouldn't get rid of Johnson. They were right. The people still bought his lies and they still disliked Corbyn.
The procrastination of the majority of 2017/19 parliament inevitably led to BJ & his thumping majority seat wise.
There is a lesson to be learned there.
Too many games played by some who should have known better.Now this is where we are...

C j phill

The choice at the last election was dreadful, but I think most sensible people do care about the lying. The last election was also overshadowed by Brexit, which created a perfect storm for Johnson, whereby traditional Tories plus Brexiteers voted for Johnson giving him 43% of the vote, but 56% of the seats and hence a huge majority.
I agree that most sensible people do care about the lying, my concern is that most people do not appear to be sensible. I suspect that if there was a general election tomorrow, Johnson would get returned as PM with the Conservative party holding a majority in the Commons.

My hope is that a generational change to politics occurs in the UK over the next 20 years and a party, other than the classic current main three parties, emerges with a social and environmental agenda, which captures the interest of today's young adults.