• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Headlines curtesy of the BBC:

• Rachel Reeves has been appointed as shadow chancellor, replacing Anneliese Dodds.
  • Angela Rayner, the party’s elected deputy leader, will now also shadow Michael Gove as the shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.
  • Thangam Debbonaire becomes the shadow leader of the House of Commons (replacing Valerie Vaz).
  • Lucy Powell has been promoted to the shadow cabinet with the housing brief.
  • Wes Streeting has also been promoted – to a new brief that will look at tackling child poverty.
  • Shabana Mahmood will become the party’s campaign coordinator – a role previously held by Ms Rayner. It is unclear whether she will remain on the NEC, the party’s ruling body.
  • Jonathan Ashworth stays as shadow health secretary.
  • Lisa Nandy remains as shadow foreign secretary.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Will be interesting to see if Rachel Reeves repeats her 2013 promise to cut the benefits bill harder than the Tories.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will be interesting to see if Rachel Reeves repeats her 2013 promise to cut the benefits bill harder than the Tories.
No need to. Apparently under the new financial world order, you can spend as much as you like without worrying about it.

IndoMike

Well done Mike you’ve just endorsed Johnson’s (and Biden’s) tactic of large scale borrowing in order to intervene in the economy in the hope that economic activity and productivity are increased.
You should be pleased that Boris shamelessly nicked McDonnell’s plan from Labour’s manifesto from 2017 and made it happen. The left for once, won the argument,
Sorry. I don't get your point at all.
Hermann asked who would pay for the debt accrued die to BREXIT and the pandemic. You said that debt is not a problem, and I asked why Cameron imposed 10 years of austerity to reduce the debt if it's not a problem.You did not answer the question.
There are debts accrued through necessity and debts accrued through stupidity.
Debt accrued through overcoming the negative impact of covid is a necessity, assuming it is well spent and not being syphoned off to "private interests". Debts incurred through a failing economy due to bad decisions such as Brexit I clearly don"t approve of
I have said on previous posts we need a kind of Marshall Plan, so of course I agree with what Biden is doing .
But your hero Johnson is untrustworthy and undemocratic, so I don't trust him with the money that he will borrow from the BoE. More gold wallpaper?
PS. Explain to your little mate Tweedledee - the one who put a laugh smiley on your post : cos he clearly is too thick to get my drift.

Last edited:

IndoMike

You may not agree with Angela Rayner's politics but.............
View attachment 6003
But what?

IndoMike

Perhaps Labour should try the 'being all things to all people' approach ? Talk positively, promise plenty, spend loads, ignore the consequences - that should do it.
Yes. The problem with Labour is they really are not good enough at lying and making false promises. Try could quite easily do that, but they don't. Don't they realise that the English public (not the Welsh and Scottish who are far too intelligent) will believe any old b*llsh*t uttered by the wolf in sheep's clothing?
And the levelling up? Hey that's a good one. "We'll tell the suckers we're gonna level up and that we're working night and day to achieve that. Then after a couple of years when nothing has been done we'll say it's the covid effect. And then, 6 months before the GE,, we'll give out some goodies and take some photos of Boris shovelling cement in a deprived area. Of course, Boris must be dressed in a Union Jack suit. The suckers will love it".

IndoMike

Quite so, If she's in charge of the campaign then she should fall on her sword, Just like football, You manage and get the team relegated then you go. As for timing there's no real good timing so might as well do it quickly.
Keir Starmer handed his deputy, Angela Rayner, a major promotion on Sunday night.

Oldsmobile-88

Keir Starmer handed his deputy, Angela Rayner, a major promotion on Sunday night.
What ?....
Although worth noting the Labour councillors of Batley West and Batley East both held on to their seats this week, so the outlook isn't so bleak for Labour
There was a shift in the voting.
Of course in Local elections the candidates rather than party is usually the main driver.
5AFEB404-3F64-4E7D-AECE-FDC0E2784245.jpeg

IndoMike

What ?....

There was a shift in the voting.
Of course in Local elections the candidates rather than party is usually the main driver.
View attachment 6009
Starmer handed Rayner a major promotion on Sunday night......

Oldsmobile-88

Any chance of a spot for our Ben? Almost single handedly defending the South West from a blue wave, and, as far as I can tell, quite well-respected by non-Labour voters in these parts.
Strange he has not been given a shadow post.
Milliband did not use him because he was from the Blair/Brown era.There was no way that Corbyn was going to select him for a post or indeed if Bradshaw would have accepted it such was his dislike Corbyn leading the party & his mate Len McClusky having too much of a say on policy.
Someone should point out Bradshaws election success in a once true blue Maggie loving city.
When you see the calibre of some of the shadow cabinet in the past 5 years..Richard Burgon ffs amongst others.It does seem odd.
I think part of the reason he is not in Starmers team is the fact he is still very outspoken on Brexit which does not fit in with Sir Keirs & Labours mantra now.