• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
A blame game job from what I've just seen on twitter. He's suggesting she's responsible for some of this.

What this means is Labour are in the doldrums for some considerable period of time.
I mean, she is the campaign co-ordinator. When you've just run a **** poor campaign she must have some responsibility.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I mean, she is the campaign co-ordinator. When you've just run a **** poor campaign she must have some responsibility.
Well that's right.

I just think the timing was just so wrong. There'll probably be a few more. He should've announced them all around the same time, and there's no campaign for a while. He should've maybe relieved Rayner of her duties further down the line.

Doing it the way he has has just got a lot of people's backs up. John McDonnell, who initially came out with quite a mature outlook, is now fully riled. Lots of people reckon it smacks of Mandelson.

IndoMike

Yes, but by pulling the trigger directly after the election certainly makes it look like Starmer is piling a lot of blame onto her. Rightly or wrongly it doesn't look good and gives his opponents ammunition to fire back at him. Not smart politics.
Conversely, there doesn't need to be a campaign co-ordinator now, does there? What campaign?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well that's right.

I just think the timing was just so wrong. There'll probably be a few more. He should've announced them all around the same time, and there's no campaign for a while. He should've maybe relieved Rayner of her duties further down the line.

Doing it the way he has has just got a lot of people's backs up. John McDonnell, who initially came out with quite a mature outlook, is now fully riled. Lots of people reckon it smacks of Mandelson.
Meh, just get it done. No one will care in 6 month's time.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any chance of a spot for our Ben? Almost single handedly defending the South West from a blue wave, and, as far as I can tell, quite well-respected by non-Labour voters in these parts.

IndoMike

Scottish independence referendum battle is ‘big distraction’ from Covid, says Gove.

What a weak argument that is from Gove. Really?
Is recovering from Covid19 the only topic that can be discussed for the next year? He'd certainly like that. Fine, let's talk about an inquiry into the Govt's (mis) management of Covid, then. That's covid-related. No?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still thinking that it will all come crashing down around our ears I see Elgy?
Sooner or later the bill for brexit, covid and levelling up will have to be paid by someone. Question is who will that be?

IndoMike

Sooner or later the bill for brexit, covid and levelling up will have to be paid by someone. Question is who will that be?
We await details on the levelling up. So far it's just talk.

DB9

Quite so, If she's in charge of the campaign then she should fall on her sword, Just like football, You manage and get the team relegated then you go. As for timing there's no real good timing so might as well do it quickly.

tavyred

That’s a very 20th century attitude to economic theory Hermie, a new doctrine says countries who are able to borrow in their own currency, can rack up long term debt with little or no risk. That’s the theory anyway.