• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Forgive my butting in but I would concur it is has been a regular refrain from many in the devout remain corner, that those who voted for Brexit were (are) universally thick and stupid.

I am not for a moment saying that is a view shared or promoted by anyone on here but it is a common approach that I see in wider comments on Brexit, whether it be on social media or in the comments sections on newspaper websites.
Like many people view Millwall fans as universally thuggish.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
You've qualified it right there.

I rarely get far on comment sites or social media sites because, like AU, I'm tired of the pretence that it's a mirror to real life.
'Gammons' v 'Luftwaffe'
'Fascists' v 'Libtards'
'Brexiters' v 'Remoaners'

Overheightened and unreliable stuff.

That's why I think all the polls often quoted on here only serve to demonstrate the extreme volatility of the electorate and the shallowness of the pool into which any thrown pebble causes ripples.
Fair comment.

Grecian2K

Let’s be honest here, the “fools being lead by dark forces” narrative has been an almost constant refrain of the remainer left these past few years.
And let you be honest here please. This sort of narrative is not exclusively owned by the left. We are frequently subjected to cries of "enemies of the people", "traitors", "left loathing lefties" etc by our own opponents. The right aren't slow in throwing out infantile insults - just ask Trump!
And can you deny that this pot of antagonistic stew is often kept nicely stirred by the media - both printed and broadcast - in order to fill their own empty spaces?

Oh, and Spoonz did omit the most notorious example from his list:
'QAnon' v 'Antifa' - both often thrown around in perjorative ways. :p

arthur

While you've been away, art, Tavares has been repeatedly 'labouring' the same jibe, like a one-trick pony! :LOL:
Do you think that maybe that's because he's secretly terrified that an opportunity for "I told you so" might arrive at some point? Sounds suspiciously like gloomsterism to me. Jinx is much more gung ho....

angelic upstart

Who then has had more influential pray tell? Tony Blair probably. Other than that, I can't think of one.
He hasn't achieved anything, I don't see that as influencial. But I guess influence can be seen in different ways.

elginCity

Do you think that maybe that's because he's secretly terrified that an opportunity for "I told you so" might arrive at some point? Sounds suspiciously like gloomsterism to me. Jinx is much more gung ho....
Most probably, it is telling. Athough tbf to Tav he has consistently tempered his post-Brexit expectations by qualifying any potential for success with an alternative 'benign effect' scenario. He has noticeably dropped the 'success' bit recently, and appears quite satisfied with the benign. :LOL:

Northern Irishmen, Scotsmen, the finance sector, fishermen, farmers, the car industry, importers, exporters, hauliers and many others currently strangled in red tape are anything but satisfied, and certainly wouldn't describe Brexit as benign, let alone a success.

Be it a boosterist like Jinx or a gloomsterist like Tav, it's difficult atm to see how they're going to avoid an "I told you so" at some point.

IndoMike

Art.
It looks my alternative reality is shared by others.
Let’s be honest here, the “fools being lead by dark forces” narrative has been an almost constant refrain of the remainer left these past few years.
As a matter of interest, shared by whom? Just because one or two posters on here agree with you, it doesn't mean your opinion is right, does it?

Secondly, isn't it this Govt. that is treating the people as stupid? Lying to the people indicates that you think the people are too stupid to realise, and this Govt certainly lies a lot. I don't really want to post on here a list of all their lies, but I will do if necessary.

Thirdly you are the past expert at making sweeping generatizations : you shouldn't be surprised if others do.

Finally, FGS give us a rest with your silly and obsessive use of the term "self- loathing" as some kind of sword to attack liberals. It's quite frankly boring and more a fluffy duster than a sword. Can't you think of another term to use for a year or two? I suggest "Reds under the bed",. "Commies", "Beatniks" or summat

IndoMike

Most probably, it is telling. Athough tbf to Tav he has consistently tempered his post-Brexit expectations by qualifying any potential for success with an alternative 'benign effect' scenario. He has noticeably dropped the 'success' bit recently, and appears quite satisfied with the benign. :LOL:

Northern Irishmen, Scotsmen, the finance sector, fishermen, farmers, the car industry, importers, exporters, hauliers and many others currently strangled in red tape are anything but satisfied, and certainly wouldn't describe Brexit as benign, let alone a success.

Be it a boosterist like Jinx or a gloomsterist like Tav, it's difficult atm to see how they're going to avoid an "I told you so" at some point.
I too sense that our Tavers is very little by little trying to extricate himself from the mess his votes have helped get us into.
I don't think he realised that the BREXIT deal was faulty and left so many unanswered questions, including the vexed question of Ireland. Nor did he perceive that the cabinet (the "yes" boys and girls)
would be so incompetent and also constantly the make (thus taking an axe to free and fair competition)
But, it's hard to accept that the utopia you were promised is turning to ashes. BREXIT is NOT a success and the Govt Is NOT genuinely interested in levelling up - how can giving out billion dollar contracts to incompetent mates be construed as levelling up : think how that money could have been used for the benefit of kids living in deprived areas, laptops and free wi-fi for these kids, more nurses et al. And after Covid ends it will be billion dollar vanity projects.
I've said it before and I'll say it again : I don't mind if our leader makes mistakes, as long as I know he/she is honest, accepts responsibility, has good intentions, and puts the people before himself. Johnson fails the test

angelic upstart

We don't know brexit won't be a success yet.
We do know that the current government are duplicitous and therefore I cannot trust them to make the right decisions for the country.

IndoMike

We don't know brexit won't be a success yet.
We do know that the current government are duplicitous and therefore I cannot trust them to make the right decisions for the country.
Well, if we don't know if it will be a success then wasn't it an almighty risk to take?
Surely to take such drastic measures you should be pretty damned sure it will work out well, shouldn't you?