• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The delectable Laura Whitmore getting pelters from her fellow Irish folk for doing a fluff piece about girls joining the British Army. Not good optics I suppose back home, but I’ve never quite understood why it’s OK to live, work and perhaps thrive in Britain and fund the British military by way of your taxes, but then get all huffy with things like this. Seems a tad hypocritical.
After having to Google Laura (Love Island is about personality not appearance, Yeah right!) Whitmore, Any one in the IR that talks about the British Army, Even in the fluffiest way will rattle some over there, It's always been like that and always will be sadly.

IndoMike

Within the gloom there is a little bit of good news.

IndoMike

Arthur, if you suddenly found yourself in power, how would your concept of "The People have spoken" differ from Tavy's?

Check this out, Stuffy. Very interesting podcasts about the Spitfire. In those days if the politicians asked the people to cooperate they certainly did. Different type of crisis, I suppose. With a leader like Churchill the people were united.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The result itself was never ignored, or impeded - managing the potential consequences of that result couldn't be agreed upon, not least by the architects of Brexit themselves ! The result has been implemented. As I said, in future dem rools need to be better enforced, or changed for the better, elections need to be as watertight as possible in order to respect democracy.

Some people voted for a journey without a road map, or a plan, just vague soundbites and empty promises from known dodgy characters, and that is still the case to this day. You wonder why other people, who this result also affects, are angry about it.
Surely that is the case in every election, referendum or parliamentary, council, police commissioner etc? Those asking for your vote say what they will do with it. Once they are elected, there is no 'check and balance".

People down the ages will have been angry about the outcomes of elections that didn't go the way they wanted, but they lost

This fixation of bitter remainers blaming the public for being idiots, and Johnson/Cummins for lying, as the reason leave won, and that we may now end up with a 'hard Brexit' is utterly amazing.

elginCity

A Useful Idiot is a fair, reasonable and well worn political description in the circumstances, don’t you think RP ? :ROFLMAO:

tavyred

You make RP’s final point beautifully Elgy.👍

IndoMike

Apparently another 150m wasted in the purchase of masks which cannot be used. The Govt is being sued because they contracted procurement to a company which has no experience in the matter. A bit like Grayling and his pizza delivery/ferry company.
You wouldn't be surprised if there was some dodgy mate of a Tory in there somewhere.
I imagine you could build a good hospital or two with that kind of money. But never mind,.this Govt has carte blanche to rack up its list of incompetence and misdeeds and nobody seems to care. Democracy doesn't work so well if these things can happen with impunity

tavyred

Febrile times back along Indo, I’d be very surprised if there weren’t other such panic driven feck ups discovered in the weeks and months ahead. I see this case was brought against the Government by remain hero and the fox batterer himself Jolyon Maughan. Small world, the activist lawyer profession. 😄

IndoMike

Febrile times back along Indo, I’d be very surprised if there weren’t other such panic driven feck ups discovered in the weeks and months ahead. I see this case was brought against the Government by remain hero and the fox batterer himself Jolyon Maughan. Small world, the activist lawyer profession. 😄
Poor you, Tavers. For you it's more important to focus on who raised the issue than the fact that 150m was squandered that could be used for something important.
You say you love your country so much and yet you pooh pooh the billions that have been wasted. As I said before, it's the Govt that you love.
Where's your sense of right and wrong? Why do you happily accept these failings?

tavyred

£150m?
Meh, a rounding error.
If you think sh*te Government procurement started and will end with the current incumbents in power, then you’re more blindly politically partial than I think you are.