• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do get the hysteria over a mis-moniker. Admittedly, it did take a while before 'Elgy' no longer gave rise to a mental image of green slime, but only a day or so ago the predictive Indonesian referred to me as 'Rogers'. Another mental image we could do without.

Now happy-to-be-called-Stuffers, is not only recommending instant coffee, but also bigging up the Sec of State for Justice who's been found guilty of professional misconduct in the past, all whilst digging up the skeletons of Sir Keir, barely 6 hours into the job. Bring it on.

******** once very nearly ran me over at Wycombe, just imagine the weight of him and his vehicle driving over your toes. Unforgiveable.

Alistair20000

******** once very nearly ran me over at Wycombe, just imagine the weight of him and his vehicle driving over your toes. Unforgiveable.
Again I would say you got lucky. I am pretty sure he actually did drive over someone's foot but the poster in question no longer frequents these boards so no further information can be yielded up.

elginCity

Again I would say you got lucky. I am pretty sure he actually did drive over someone's foot but the poster in question no longer frequents these boards so no further information can be yielded up.
Think you might find that was me, Al. I have already mentioned it on here, a long time ago (shudders) ! :oops:

DB9

Johnson has invited Starmar and other opposition leader to No 10 for cross party talks on Covid-19, I hope these talks are sincere and not like May's Brexit talks that were only done to deflect and let her put the blame on others

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Johnson has invited Starmar and other opposition leader to No 10 for cross party talks on Covid-19, I hope these talks are sincere and not like May's Brexit talks that were only done to deflect and let her put the blame on others
The fact he did it 5 minutes before Starmer was elected probably means it was done in good faith. No excuses if it isn't and the opprobrium will rightly pour over him if it turns out to be so. Corbyn and McDonnell have spent the last few weeks rubbishing everything, even when Sunak announced £330bill "it wasn't enough". Plenty of room for constructive criticism of the Gov approach / testing / NHS capacity but if Starmer means what he said in his speech, not opposing everything for the sake of it, then that will be to the country's benefit.

Johnson also needs to work with Starmer medium term to help lance the SNP independence boil. Corbyn made clear he wasn't remotely interested in doing so.

I will also be interested to see Starmer's Shadow Cabinet. How many of the Corbyn outriders does he keep - Burgon, L-B, Abbot, Butler etc or does he purge the lot? Does he bring back experience - Cooper, Milliband for example or does he go for new faces recognising that it should be 4 yrs until the next election.

Last edited:

DB9

The fact he did it 5 minutes before Starmer was elected probably means it was done in good faith. No excuses if it isn't and the opprobrium will rightly pour over him if it turns out to be so. Corbyn and McDonnell have spent the last few weeks rubbishing everything, even when Sunak announced £330bill "it wasn't enough". Plenty of room for constructive criticism of the Gov approach / testing / NHS capacity but if Starmer means what he said in his speech, not opposing everything for the sake of it, then that will be to the country's benefit.

Johnson also needs to work with Starmer medium term to help lance the SNP independence boil. Corbyn made clear he wasn't remotely interested in doing so.
Think Starmer knows this situation is beyond Politics, This is a national emergency and needs all sides getting together and working for the country, Hancock saying the Government's approach is perfect and right when others,Not only politicians are saying otherwise is a bit arrogant, This situation you need to rise above that and listen to others

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster

I will also be interested to see Starmer's Shadow Cabinet. How many of the Corbyn outriders does he keep - Burgon, L-B, Abbot, Butler etc or does he purge the lot? Does he bring back experience - Cooper, Milliband for example or does he go for new faces recognising that it should be 4 yrs until the next election.
He has said he will offer jobs to the defeated candidates and Abbott has ruled herself out, so that covers two of them. He needs to bring both sides together ideally.

IndoMike

I do get the hysteria over a mis-moniker. Admittedly, it did take a while before 'Elgy' no longer gave rise to a mental image of green slime, but only a day or so ago the predictive Indonesian referred to me as 'Rogers'. Another mental image we could do without.

Now happy-to-be-called-Stuffers, is not only recommending instant coffee, but also bigging up the Sec of State for Justice who's been found guilty of professional misconduct in the past, all whilst digging up the skeletons of Sir Keir, barely 6 hours into the job. Bring it on.

Re ******** : So he missed.
Re Starmer : Yes, the knives are out.
The Toryboys and their mates from the gutter press are digging away already.
Bad news for them that an electable Labour leader has appeared out of the darkness.
Re Rogers: That one's got me confused, too. Not even predictive text is an excuse 🥴

IndoMike

Oops. Loose fingers cost lives

Last edited:

IndoMike

AWOL

Raab Raab Black Sheep (acting P.M, literally)
Cummings the Exterminator
Jacob Rees-Smug
Failing Grayling
The Wicked Witch
Bonking Boris

Our nation's survival is in the hands of this
elite group of high-flyers.
Surely this will fill the hearts of the nation with great confidence and strength