• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Planning application for new training ground facilities

Cygnus

With Exeter City Council’s plans to develop Marsh Barton for housing over the next twenty years and not continue as a 100% industrial estate, there could be an opportunity here for locating a new ground, still within the city. Particularly now there is a Marsh Barton station, which could work like Digby & Sowton station does for the Chiefs.

With the council owning SJP, I’m sure they would like to build houses there and in exchange they could give us a site for a new 10k stadium, complete with modern facilities to maximum match day income and corporate business on non match days. It's worked for the Chiefs, so why couldn’t it for us. Build it and they will come I think is the saying!

tom_ecfc

I take it that you've never 'TRIED' to drive past the Westpoint Show Ground when there are events on, or Chiefs are using it for parking - it's a nightmare! They have to have temporary traffic lights to allow those people leaving the ground any chance of gettig iinto the traffic. So imagine what it's gonig to be like with a football crowd leaving an 'out of town' stadium when the majority have had to drive because public transport doesn't run to any form of logic. The area you point out is directly opposite the entrance to Westpoint, but handy for Kenniford Farms food, which could be a bonus!!.
Simples…extend the train line to Westpoint. Do a ‘Brighton’ and include free train travel with your ticket. I’m sure GWR will add 1 more carriage to the 2 retrofitted bus shells we currently have running towards Exmouth and back! Sort it out Railthorpe! 🤣🚂

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why would they sell a training and reserve match facility to us when they use it all the time?
From looking at their website I thought that Exeter Athletic were a separate entity from the Chiefs. They stress the amateur status of the club and the separate directors have signed a contract to build a small clubhouse.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
From looking at their website I thought that Exeter Athletic were a separate entity from the Chiefs. They stress the amateur status of the club and the separate directors have signed a contract to build a small clubhouse.
There is a huge Exeter Chiefs sign on the entrance into the facility

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here's an up to date list of all the available land in Exeter that could possibly be used for a stadium. It's known as Exeter Housing and Economic Land Availablity Assessment (HELAA) published in October 2023. I haven't ploughed through it yet but some of you might like to look for those sites with potential.
Microsoft Word - 231106 - Draft Exeter HELAA accesssible

Fareham Grecian

With the council owning SJP, I’m sure they would like to build houses there and in exchange they could give us a site for a new 10k stadium, complete with modern facilities to maximum match day income and corporate business on non match days. It's worked for the Chiefs, so why couldn’t it for us. Build it and they will come I think is the saying!
If they wanted to build houses on it they would have - but instead they have put a covenant on the land preventing it being used for housing, ther y prot3ctimg ECFC. If at some future point they changed their mind - and the deeds - any money would go to them, not us, as we don’t own the land.

It worked for the Chiefs cos they owned the ground.

Westy

It's an interesting report, but it isn't just a list of land available for development, it includes a lot of current businesses and premises that aren't up for sale or currently available to build on. So I wouldn't get too excited about some of the land listed in what is really an Exeter City Council wish list of sites they would like to use for housing if available. For example it includes my current workplace which I manage and it definitely isn't available for sale or development.

yticretexe

If they wanted to build houses on it they would have - but instead they have put a covenant on the land preventing it being used for housing, ther y prot3ctimg ECFC. If at some future point they changed their mind - and the deeds - any money would go to them, not us, as we don’t own the land.

It worked for the Chiefs cos they owned the ground.
This wasn't the case with the land behind the big bank and (without knowing the terms of the lease) would assume we'd be due a fee or at least could negotiate some compensation with the council if foregoing our rights to that lease allowed the council to meet a need for housing of whatever variety.

Can't imagine we're getting 30m from that though ha. Might have to package up the Stanno stand to go behind one of the goals, the away end behind an another and build one large 6000 (AC Stand at Charlton or GBM at Lincoln) all seater single tier stand and have 3 sides until we can afford to buy a 4th but ensure we have the land and space to be able to do so.

One can dream.

Last edited: