• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pitch Inspection Friday Morning

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ok then Mr clever, where is the logic in trying to work out if the ground is playable 30 hours beforehand. A lot can happen in that timescale.

If they are than insistent on it why make an announcement saying a pitch inspection is happening, why not just take a quick look at the ground and then call it off and then report it.
The only definite outcome that there would have been from this morning was that the game was off. This would have been if the ground was frozen solid.

If it was frozen, the weather later today and tomorrow may improve, but it's very unlikely to improve to an extent where it would thaw frozen ground.

Why make an announcement? Why not?

Grecian_Jay

You can make a definitive decision to call the game off, though. Look at tomorrow's coupon - already several "P-P" there. This was the opportunity to make a definitive judgement not on "game on" but on "game off". As it is we are now thought to be possibly closer to "on" than "off".

I was under the impression that there was a clause whereby the home side would become liable for the visiting side's travel etc. costs were the game to be kept on under false pretences, but I'm not 100% on that.
I'm pretty confident that isn't the case. If it is then it is certainly new.

But what did they think they would be able to achieve? Calling a game off now it would have to be completely caked in ice/snow etc, it clearly wasn't/isn't as the players have been training on it (yes before Ant comes on here crying it isn't the same as a real game etc).

Just think it was completely obvious this would happen. Anyway so if we call it off tomorrow would we still be liable for their costs? If so why not jsut wait?

Last edited:

Lister

What costs would we have been liable for?
Have you thought about googling that information for yourself or do you want to be spoon fed everything?

Grecian_Jay

The only definite outcome that there would have been from this morning was that the game was off. This would have been if the ground was frozen solid.

If it was frozen, the weather later today and tomorrow may improve, but it's very unlikely to improve to an extent where it would thaw frozen ground.

Why make an announcement? Why not?
30 Hours is a long time, it doesn't look like snowing again, looks like temp dropped by a few degrees as well.

Grecian_Jay

Have you thought about googling that information for yourself or do you want to be spoon fed everything?
Ok into google:

"What costs would Exeter have to pay Tranmere if the game got postponed and they hadn't conducted a pointless inspection 30 hours prior to kick-off when no decision was ever going to made".

Computer said no.

Grecian_Jay

How can "a quick look at the ground" lead to a definitive judgement?
Because you are saying the only way it would get called off if is if the ground is frozen. That wouldn't take a lot of in-depth inspection would it.

LOG

I'm pretty confident that isn't the case. If it is then it is certainly new.

But what did they think they would be able to achieve? Calling a game off now it would have to be completely caked in ice/snow etc, it clearly wasn't/isn't as the players have been training on it (yes before Ant comes on here crying it isn't the same as a real game etc).

Just think it was completely obvious this would happen. Anyway so if we call it off tomorrow would we still be liable for their costs? If so why not jsut wait?
I have a mole hill that i've always wanted to turn into a mountain, but i've just never been able to do it.

Could you help please?

LOG

Ok into google:

"What costs would Exeter have to pay Tranmere if the game got postponed and they hadn't conducted a pointless inspection 30 hours prior to kick-off when no decision was ever going to made".

Computer said no.
I'll admit, i did laugh at that :)

Grecian_Jay

I have a mole hill that i've always wanted to turn into a mountain, but i've just never been able to do it.

Could you help please?
Sorry, too busy Googling stuff to keep Lister happy.

AndyB

GJ

Looks like plenty of people have already explained the logic of the process to you.