• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pelé

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm pleased to say I saw Pele play. 1972ish playing for Santos of Brazil at Home Park. A crowd of around 40,000 packed the place. When the Santos management saw the size of the crowd they insisted on more money for this 'friendly', Argyle Charman Robert Daniel wrote out the cheque that saw Santos take to the field, nearly an hour and a half late!
March 1973 on a Wednesday evening.

I worked in John Hores house in the early 1980s. He had Peles shirt from that game framed on his lounge wall.

The Brazilians insisted on ‘readies’ as the additional payment.

grecIAN Harris

I'd didn't realise Pele was so short, only 5'8" according to what I heard during the day. I thought he was 5'10-5'11 which makes this stat, of his 1280 career goals over 300 were headers, remarkable and adds even greater weight to him being the greatest player ever as his physical size and stature is comparable to both Maradona and Messi and neither of them can come up with anything close to that, even if you took it in percentage terms. That's before you start looking at the way he scored those headers. It wasn't like they were little flicks, Pele used to get up, outjump his marker and properly stick everything he was worth behind them, the header that forced Banksy into 'that' save and his header in the 1970 World Cup Final instantly come to mind.

Antony Moxey

Sad times for football the world over. You take your Maradonna's, your Ronaldo's, your Messi's (GOAT my arse), none of them will ever hold a candle to Pele. Three World Cups, over a thousand career goals back when football wasn't so advanced. Can you imagine what he would be like now with the kind of protection and better equipment and pitches that certainly the younger of the aforementioned trio have had? He was unplayable in his time, now.......... you could dream but I don't think you could get near it. The cynics will say this is all subjective but I don't think so.
For once you couldn’t be more right Harris. It shouldn‘t even be a debate, and if you think it is then you don’t know football. The greatest ever. Forever.

grecIAN Harris

I see Gianni Infantino is having another mental breakdown again, show a complete lack of understanding for the game again. He is now suggesting that every country in the world should have a 'Pele Stadium'. For me, I believe nobody will ever replace Pele as 'the greatest player of all time' in my life time but even I think the stadium thing is just plain wrong (as I've no doubt the great man himself would). There are only two stadiums in the world this would be fitting: The Urbano Calderia Stadium, the home of Santos, Pele's club. Or, a little more controvsersially maybe, The Maracana home of Brzail's national side.

iscalad

I see Gianni Infantino is having another mental breakdown again, show a complete lack of understanding for the game again. He is now suggesting that every country in the world should have a 'Pele Stadium'. For me, I believe nobody will ever replace Pele as 'the greatest player of all time' in my life time but even I think the stadium thing is just plain wrong (as I've no doubt the great man himself would). There are only two stadiums in the world this would be fitting: The Urbano Calderia Stadium, the home of Santos, Pele's club. Or, a little more controvsersially maybe, The Maracana home of Brzail's national side.
Guys showing himself up as a buffoon. Take this with his Qatar quotes shows he's really lost the plot.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster

Interesting article from a couple of years ago. Pele was way before my time but many argue that Pele's record 'involves goals scored while he was daydreaming in the bath'.

There is no doubt that he was obviously an amazing player, however whether he is the greatest ever will always be a debate.

iscalad

Interesting article from a couple of years ago. Pele was way before my time but many argue that Pele's record 'involves goals scored while he was daydreaming in the bath'.

There is no doubt that he was obviously an amazing player, however whether he is the greatest ever will always be a debate.
Greatest ever usually depends on how old you are.
Who's won 3 World Cup medals?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Greatest ever usually depends on how old you are.
Who's won 3 World Cup medals?
As I said, there will always be a debate - who's won the Ballon D'or 7 times? All these things are down to opinion but for me as the standard of football has improved a lot in the last 30 years the greatest ever has to be Messi.

iscalad

As I said, there will always be a debate - who's won the Ballon D'or 7 times? All these things are down to opinion but for me as the standard of football has improved a lot in the last 30 years the greatest ever has to be Messi.
Balloon D'or is mostly players playing in Europe.
I would say Messi is the best player for nigh on 40 years.

Spoonz Red E

Just heard on the radio that he's been outlived by his 100 year old mother.