• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Padraig Amond in on a season loan

JCWhoosh

Since the sale of our natural winger (JR) I can see us playing a diamond with Amond and Nombe up top. Atangana at the base with Jay in the hole with Collins for company. Just need a couple more players signed for competition/ squad depth and I think we are looking strong.

Grecianpasty

Since the sale of our natural winger (JR) I can see us playing a diamond with Amond and Nombe up top. Atangana at the base with Jay in the hole with Collins for company. Just need a couple more players signed for competition/ squad depth and I think we are looking strong.
Bradford managed both Brown and Jay too easily on Saturday. As you say, having the two up top just gives us an extra option we didn't have before.

les.gtfc

Try asking Les, he may know ?
Not too sure why to be honest but he's always been known as "Podge". Maybe a childhood nickname. Whatever you do though, never call him "Paddy", as he hates that.

Last edited:

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looks very composed and calm in front of goal, the type of striker Ben Seymour could learn a lot from.

Bridgy 81

I think he's in the last year of his contract at Newport, so wonder why it's a loan.
Presumably we'll be paying all of his wages and maybe a small loan fee?
Perhaps there's a break clause in January so if he's on fire Newport can recall him to boost their forward line (and scupper ours) or if they find themselves short of strikers for some reason.
Anyway, I like the signing.
Good, experienced player at this level and should complement our existing forwards.
Things seem to be shaping up nicely.
I'm answering part of my own question here!
I've read an article in the South Wales Argus confirming there is a January break clause in the loan deal. As expected I suppose.
Plus, Michael Flynn has said there's been no fall out, just a case of freshening up his forward options.
It also said that Padraig is settled living in Newport, his wife works in Cardiff and they have a one year old child. I know Matt said he'll be commuting daily and we could offer him accommodation if that becomes too much, but I imagine, for the family reasons above, relocation in the short term is unlikely.
The article even implied that Padraig's time at Newport won't necessarily end when his contract expires.
I guess we'll just have to hope that he does the business for us for as long as he's here.

Ashford Grecian

Does "The Pod" have a squad number yet // is he likely to figure on Saturday?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Does "The Pod" have a squad number yet // is he likely to figure on Saturday?
He's number 11. I'd thought he'd be at least on the bench.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
There seems to be a lot of "chicken counting" going on in relation to Saturday. I sincerely hope that this match does go ahead ! :unsure:

You hear lots of players, at Exeter and elsewhere, asked what's behind an upturn in form? Not sure I can remember too many attributing it to being publicly criticised by their manager but, being considerably older than Padraig, my best years are [well] behind me and that may well be down to my memory being shot. ;-)
Seemed to work with Sweenz last summer.
Besides I don't think MT's comments were a criticism, just an observation.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a decent loan signing, can't wait to see him in action