• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oxford United vs Exeter City Matchday Thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
What do you thing the scoreline would have been if it fairly reflected the play? I'd vote 5-3 to them (or possibly 4-3 or 4-2).

(I'm with those who thought the SSN reporter got this completely wrong. It was as if her needle had got stuck at the 30 minute mark - yep then we were under the cosh and very lucky to get to half time level. The game changed in the second half, but her reports didn't...)

Antony Moxey

We’ve seen players (usually keepers) booked for timewasting fairly regularly over the years, I just thought it unusual to see a free kick awarded for it.

Pete Martin (CTID)

If anybody wants to compare our defending I would urge you all to look at the highlights of Morecambe 5-0 Burton on Sky Sports. Possibly the worst defending possible :)
And yet I seem to remember Burton dicking us 2-0 at home early in the current season.

Funny old game...

andrew p long

We’ve seen players (usually keepers) booked for timewasting fairly regularly over the years, I just thought it unusual to see a free kick awarded for it.
The main difference is between ball in and out of play.

Keepers have often been booked for time wasting when about to take a goal kick but the ball is still out of play- after which the game restarts with the goal kick.

On this occasion the booking was for an offence when the ball was in play. A free kick is thus inevitable; either the game was stopped to award a free kick or for a booking. If a booking the correct decision is also to re-start with an indirect free kick.

Exehausted

As has been mentioned above, it's usually for not taking a goal kick or free kick. The game is stopped at that point so a free kick can't be given. In this case though the ball is still officially in play, but nothing can happen because the keeper is holding it. This is why keepers often drop the ball at their feet when there is no one near them or don't pick it up when they can until an opposing play approaches them. In both cases the ball is officially in play so no offence is committed. Sorry for the long winded explanation and yes, many years ago I was a referee! And Andrew has beaten me to it!

Pete Martin (CTID)

I think, with regard to Jamal, it's worth remembering that he had played just 104 first team games (mainly as a loanee) in 10 years after 'getting lost' at Chelsea before he came to us. He was 29 in October last year.

That history seems like a terrible waste of talent to me as I personally have little doubt he would have done better starting off in L1 or the Championship. He was probably earning a decent wedge but it still seems a waste.

On the positive side, I think he has already improved, grown more confident, and will continue to do so. His best years may still be ahead of him.

Poundstretcher

Also, from those highlights, it didn’t look like he had that much to do (although there was one outstanding first half save).

Seems like, even with the obvious Oxford bias, it wasn’t as one sided as many reports seem to suggest.
I think the disconnect between the opinions we’re seeing is a lot down to the fact that whilst Oxford were all over us throughout the first half, their final balls were misjudged or misplaced, and shots hit defenders. A little more clear-headed decision making and they could well have had several in the first half, but ultimately more of then than not they didn’t create the chances that the numbers and positions suggested.

In the second half we definitely had the balance of the game and we were also able to turn this possession into chances - and arguably we (Key…) should have taken more of them than we did.

So basically what I’m saying is that I can see the truth in both the point of view that Oxford should have put the game to bed before half time, and also that we were decent value for the win. Ultimately, though, the only thing I’m bothered about is being able to go into work next week with my head high!

grecIAN Harris

That's usually when it's gone over the dead ball line and are restarting with a goal kick rather actually being in possession of the ball and holding it for more than six seconds.

cannockred

Have to say that, listening to the oxford comms on Ifollow via iptv (dont ask🤫), they were very fair in their comments on the game, berating the ref for the many wrong decisions against both sides. Unusual to hear.

denzel

It is, you're right....but rarely , if ever is it enforced.
True, but Blackman can have few complaints. He did it a few minutes earlier, and Drysdale is a decent ref. Fortunately they squandered the free kick, but hopefully he doesn't do it again.