• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

our place

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't care if he is a Richard, that full stop has to be there.
I tend to agree but am advised the full stop is not the "modern way"

Poultice

I tend to agree but am advised the full stop is not the "modern way"
Modern or right ? It's up to you.

Does help to explain why exam results improve every year when getting stuff right is optional.

Alistair20000

Modern or right ? It's up to you.

Does help to explain why exam results improve every year when getting stuff right is optional.
I like to see things right. All this "modern" stuff has left all our institutions FUBAR but I fear we are seen as a dwindling band of reactionary old curmudgeons.

LOG

Alan Crockford nailed this one down a while back IIRC, so i guess we'll never find out now.

hatch4england

Strictly, I think St James Park is a compound noun (ie the whole name of the park is St James Park), but St Jame's and St James' are possessives - the park belonging to in some sense, St James.

They represent the answers to different questions, if you will.
1. What is the name of the park?
2. Whose park is it?

Modern usage allows both St James' and St Jame's. Our editors argue over which is to be preferred. Omission of the full stop (as I have done out of devilment) is incorrect, but is becoming common usage also.

For more info., consult Fowlers Modern English Usage: highly recommended.

Last edited:

Mike Blackstone

I have always used ... St. James' Park ... in any articles I have written.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Modern usage allows both St James' and St Jame's. Our editors argue over which is to be preferred. Omission of the full stop (as I have done out of devilment) is incorrect, but is becoming common usage also.
Surely, the Saint is James so, technically, it's St James's Park though nowadays it's usual to drop the second s - because s's looks unsightly - but still to pronounce it as if it's there.

So, it's either St James's Park or St James' Park - which are, in effect, one in the same - but definitely not St Jame's Park!

Grecian2K

Over the years (from the very start) the Echo have used ALL of the variants over the years

Seems to have been St. James's in the very early days, then St. James' and, more recently, just St. James.

I 4-1 am happy with any of the three......as long as its still OUR ground, that's all that matters!

TOP_CITY_FAN

I am under the impression that:

Exeter = St James Park
Newcastle = St James' Park
Lahndan = St James's Park
What about Brackley Town?

Pete Martin (CTID)

The road next to the ground is St. James Road so I would expect the adjacent football ground to be the same.