• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Orient vs City 23rd March

Given how often it happens, why not extend the international break down to all four divisions? If we have three or four out it’s likely they’ll be our best players so that puts us at a massive disadvantage. It’s OK if you’re Liverpool but for us we can’t afford a squad that’s all of the standard of our best players.
Think that's where the EFL would argue that the schedule is already pretty packed, so finding an extra 4 slots for League games, 2 slots for EFL Trophy games and another slot for an FA Cup R1 Replay - all of which currently fall within an international break, gets pretty tricky.

Add to that the fact that FIFA want to expand the amount of matchdays they have within the calendar, if the EFL gave more ground to them now, probably would be making more of a rod for their own back.

I agree that it needs looking at as I think given the new routes available to L1 & L2 clubs to sign foreign players, coupled with the fact I think there may be a shift by some clubs to look at Internationals of smaller nations rather than more expensive domestic players, think we may see more games at this level postponed for this very reason.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good for me as I shall be in Scotland that weekend but can probably go to the rearranged game.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think that's where the EFL would argue that the schedule is already pretty packed, so finding an extra 4 slots for League games, 2 slots for EFL Trophy games and another slot for an FA Cup R1 Replay - all of which currently fall within an international break, gets pretty tricky.

Add to that the fact that FIFA want to expand the amount of matchdays they have within the calendar, if the EFL gave more ground to them now, probably would be making more of a rod for their own back.

I agree that it needs looking at as I think given the new routes available to L1 & L2 clubs to sign foreign players, coupled with the fact I think there may be a shift by some clubs to look at Internationals of smaller nations rather than more expensive domestic players, think we may see more games at this level postponed for this very reason.
Put all the EFL Trophy games in the international breaks. Job done.

paperclip

Put all the EFL Trophy games in the bin. Job done.
Corrected that for you.

Antony Moxey

Put all the EFL Trophy games in the international breaks. Job done.
This is a good suggestion. Anything that’s not league, FA Cup or League Cup ought be scheduled for then - if we’re not playing first teamers in these games then neither us nor anyone else is missing out.

Antony Moxey

Even with all the meaningless cup games in the calendar, we still have a fair number of empty midweeks during the season so I don’t think it’s that much of a job finding four and if we’re having games postponed because of internationals then we’re having to find those slots anyway. I don’t see why we should be disadvantaged by having international players on the books.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
9th or 23rd April please. I'd be disappointed if I have to miss two local games.

supernova

Ffs is all

Matt Russell

Ffs is all
Enough said.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
True...but then the teams who DO have their games consistently called off are able to find those slots.